What would you do if your in laws.......

What would you do if you in-laws never look at your children, and only "do it" when their son (you DH) is around. What about if your children would not want to know about them. Is hard that your DH know that his mom don't show any kind of love to his kids and only do it when he is around. What you would do in that situation?

Amyelitza69

Asked by Amyelitza69 at 2:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• That a tough one. I would have to confront her and let her know how my kids felt because of her inattentiveness. I would also express to my DH how it hurts the kids. That's the best I got but that's a toughie!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 2:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Honestly I would not take my kids around the inlaws. That's crappy inlaws seriously. As a mother I wouldn't want my kids to be hurt like that and I wouldn't be around them either.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• BellaKristy, Yes is a tough one. I can't even understand people like that....They only focus on "her baby"= my DH....He feel terrible because she only look for his sister kids...Big Shame! I try to not talk bad about those people (in-laws) to the kids....But kids know who love them and who's not...And more when they are almost pre-teens. But at least they have the love from the other side ( I mean my family). It hurts them because the in-laws don't even know how old they are....Big Shame on them! I'm glad that we are super far away from them and plus the kids don't even want to see her....Is their lost!

Amyelitza69

Comment by Amyelitza69 (original poster) at 3:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• SweetLoveofmine, I'm glad that I see the indifference they have to my kids and we live too far...Is crazy that a mother express that the only grand kids are the kids from her daughters.....This is not a new issue, it been happening since we married (almost 14 yrs ago), but because we always live so far, my DH don't notice it until now that she don't call his kids on their B-Days....It hit him hard she forgot that.....But I'm glad that the kids don't even wonder she don't call them But it hurts them that she(MIL) only call here to ask about her "baby" = my DH. The kids don't want her to come to the house and I don't want my DH feel that I'm the one told the kids that. Anyways my kids are 12 yrs, 10 yrs and 5 yrs....I guess the oldest two they know what is going on....We been trying for years to hide this situation because we don't want them to feel bad, but now that they can understand, they feel that they are not part of them.
    Amyelitza69

Comment by Amyelitza69 (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I know how it is , my kids are nothing to my MIL, but her other son kids are everything to her. she gets the boys gifts and spends time with them etc. but she has nothing to do with my girls. They know she does not like them either. and they prefer to stay away from her. When DH parents divorced his dad was so excited to get to know my girls taking them to the mall to shop etc
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• WildCat73, I understand what you say....My MIL is the same she had in total 10 grand kids. For 4 of them the moms' (2 with each girl) don't want to the kids get related with my MIL. Then she only had 6 grand kids where she can get related and only with 3 (her daughters) she live close to it.....And those are the only she consider grand kids....So my DH don't realize that she don't want to do nothing with our 3 kids. For me I don't give a f***. It happen to me as a child and when i was 21 yrs old, my grand mother realize she did the wrong thing.....But at that time I let it go and I start a relationship that I not only give me the change to know her but I give it to my children, and they know what I went through because they ask me, and I try to explain on their level. So I'm happy that I give me and gave my kids a change to know my grandmother. It was only 11 yrs but it felt it was all my life....This story is going to repeat.
    Amyelitza69

Comment by Amyelitza69 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011