Why is my 6 week old grandson spitting/throwing up when he eats and other random times?

It isn't always when he's eating or right after he eats. It is more then just spittle, but not exactly what I would call vomiting. He isn't losing wait and definitely has a good appetite. My son is concerned, but doesn't want me to call the pediatrician quite yet because he is not quite sixteen and we have already had problems with CPS (just because of their ages when they had the baby!) and he's afraid they'll say he's not a good dad.

lighthousema24

Asked by lighthousema24 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be just a gas bubble. I know when my 2 month old grandson doesn't burp really well, he gets a bubble and whatever he eats after "NOT" burping well, ends up coming back up when he does burp the next time.

When my dd was an infant, she couldn't tolerate a particular type of formula and she used to projectile vomit. That was nasty, but it doesn't sound like the same thing as your grandbaby.
    eternallymom

Answer by eternallymom at 8:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It could be a gas bubble I know my 7 week daughter does that...I put ceral in her formula and it has helped she stil spits when this happens but not as uch. Plus she had problems going potty and that has helped a lot..But you have to use the rice ceral tho.
    tinker7407

Answer by tinker7407 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• could be that the baby has like acid reflux or maybe it is the formula he is on I would contact his doctor at so me point.....I work with children although he has not loss weight still you have a right to be concerned
    chreebear

Answer by chreebear at 9:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• might be gas try mylicon drops or gripe water first if that dont help it might be acid reflux or the formula im dealing with this right now my dd is 7 wks the dr told me to do a true test and to give her 2-4 ozs of pedilite if she spits that up then its reflux if she holds it down then its the formula for us it was the formula and she was already on soy shes now on Nutramigen and its working she still spits up a lil but not like b4
    puppet24

Answer by puppet24 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• sounds like reflux. The baby can be put on meds for that. You should always call the pediatrician with problems - it doesn't make him look like a bad father - it makes him look like a concerned father.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 2:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I wanted to add - your son should be the one making the calls to the doctors and such. It will teach him to become a responsible dad. You shouldn't be the child's primary caretaker. If you handle everything he will never learn how to.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 2:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2008