Is there a way to prevent jet lag?

Anything other than trying to get into the new day-night-rhythm before flying?  I'm thinking of food, herbal tea, exercise, IDK. Any ideas? Experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Travel

• It will typically take 1 day for every hour past the dateline that you pass...so for instance, if you are coming to the States from China, it will take about 12 days to recover as they are 12 hours ahead of the US. Get into the sunlight as much as possible and it will help to reset your internal clock.
    When we came home to Georgia after adopting our dd from China, I made it a point to get into the sun as much as possible and our clocks were actually reset within 4 days- even our dd's! Sunlight works wonders. Preventing it...not really much you can do.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If you find out let me know, haha. I hate the jet lag we deal with when flying back to the states! We end up waking up at 3 every morning and trying to go to bed by 6 each night! And it takes us a good 2 weeks to get anywhere near a normal schedule!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• drink plenty of water and don't fight it. Accept the body needs time to adjust and go with whatever the time is at your destination.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, fly north or south.  If you're flying east or west through time zones, then no.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011