What are other ways to prevent depression besides medication?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Health

• Sunlight actually and vitamins.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• exercise work for me. it doesn't have to be anything fancy or rigorous. i also listen to soundscapes or sounds of nature on youtube.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Exercise can actually really help with your mood and overall health, balanced diet, make sure and take vitamins daily, drink plenty of water, socialize, go out and do things, lead a productive live, etc. Everything that merely sounds like you should be doing it in short. =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My doctor told me to get lots of excercise and meditate when there are no distractions. Breath in through your nose and out your mouth slowly and keep your eyes closed, focusing on a positive image in your mind. This also helps me fall asleep.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 4:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Doctor say to get at least 15 minutes of sunlight a day, also any type of exercise. Going for a walk would do both. I also notice I'm a lot happier when I get out of the house, even just for errands. Go out and see friends, even if you don't feel like it.
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 4:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• These ladies have it right. I manage mine through diet, exercise and getting outside (harder in winter for sure). It's actually made a huge difference since I started working out regularly and watching my food intake. I have more energy, and I'm able to work through my frustrations in a productive manner and I just feel better overall. Fewer ups and downs.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree with what has been said. I like to take a walk in the sunshine and just stop to reflect that things could be worse. Wish I could be more help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• St Johns Wort can help.... only if you do not have allergies to things like ragweed.... chances are then that you'll be allergic to that as well.

Sunlight AKA Vit D is what helps with depression. Try finding foods higher in VitD Salmon and Tuna.... Milk.... and eggs (yolk)
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 7:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2011