What’s the best way to keep track of expenses? I’ve tried maintaining a book, but that doesn’t work because my 4-year-old son has to draw in every empty page he gets.

patrica1

Asked by patrica1 at 7:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• Perhaps you could make your record on the computer? Have you tried putting the book where your little one can't reach it?

Answer by Bmat at 7:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I would use excel or word. If I could attach something I would give you mine, but if you google it sometimes you can find pre made ones so you can just pop in the info
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If you can get on your checking account online a lot of banks have a place where you can catalog where you spent the money and what it was for i.e. grociers, gas, phone, electric. I have not really gotten to into it but it look like it could help. Than if you only have a certain amount to spend it tells you when you are over for the month or week.
    JustUsTwo

Answer by JustUsTwo at 10:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Try putting the book where the kid can't get to it.

I'm so sick of hearing parents say that they can't do something because their child gets into it or will ruin it. It's called responsibility and SUPERVISING your children. If you're unable to put things up out of reach and teach your children what they can and can not do, then you have a lot of issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I like using excel. I created a simple budget that's based on my checking account balance and credit card bills. Quicken, or some sort of software, usually comes with computers (or they used to) and that can be used to track bills and can be connected to your bank accounts so you can see how much money you have and where it's going.
    Anonymous

• You should think of leaving the paper for the computer now. Either maintain an excel sheet (MS Excel) of expenses or find a good organizer online. I personally use www.tabup.com to keep track of my income and expenses. But do keep your little one away from the keyboard.

veronicagoldy

Answer by veronicagoldy at 11:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2008