Adhd in adults?

my 6 year ol daughter has adhd and i had it when i was her age.. Well up into about 6 months ago i didnt think i had it anymore because once i turned about 17 i stopped needing the meds. Well now that my daughter has it i see that i act in ways the same way she does. I cry over little things i yell at my husband over things that i shouldnt and i know its wrong but it doesnt hit me that its wrong until after i do it.. I feel unhappy when i should be happy. I think i should go to a doctor and try and get some help but i dont want to feel like my friends are looking down on me.. Is it normal for adults to have adhd? Is it normal for me to feel the way that i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Health

• Yes it is, it didn't just appear overnight, its just that medical science didn't know much about it until recently. As long as humans have existed, it has existed, as well. To bad we didn't know about it last decade, I may have done better in school and life, myself.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• That sounds more like depression than adhd
    Ballababy177

Answer by Ballababy177 at 6:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd have to agree will Balla, it sounds more like depression. Maybe anxiety. I would definitely see a doctor about it. The stigma about seeing doctors for this isn't as "bad" as it used to be, IMO.
    mom37of2

Answer by mom37of2 at 6:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Crying & getting upset over little things has nothing to do with ADHD or ADD . ADD is attention deficit disorder, meaning you have a hard time focusing on things you are not interested in & you have a hard time paying attention....bla, bla, bla.

You sound depressed, or maybe you're PMS-ing real bad

Adults can have ADHD, i have it. It's totally NOT a kids only thing. I don't need meds though. I do have some & i will take one if i am going to a lecture, or if for some reason my full focus is required. But, i have not taken one in like 6 months.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• That's not adhd. Sounds like depression, maybe bipolar.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ADHD doesn't go away.  If you have it, you have it for life.   I have it but I've learnt how to cope with it because I don't want meds.  Having said that, everyone is different and what helps me to cope may not help you, so I suggest you talk to your doctor about it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011