Tiny Black Ants!!

Ugh! We just moved, so maybe it's a "Kentucky" thing, but I have these little black ants all over! (Ok, I'm exaggerating, but I've found them in my family room & kitchen.) I set out some ant traps - but is there anything else I can do? I've never dealt with these little guys.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 6:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You need to get something from Home Depot or Lowes that they will take back to the nests and the others will eat and then you will be able to wipe out the colony. Ants are very hard to get rid of. But with constant vigilance you should be successful.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• This sounds strange, but squish one in between your fingers & smell it. If it's a certain kind of ant, it will smell sweet....almost coconutty. if it does....you know they are sugar ants (not all small black ants eat sugar, some eat fats & grease).

There are many things you can do.

Clean your counters with vinegar, they hate it

They hate certain smells. Sprinkle black pepper, baby powder, cinnamon, cloves (they hate all those smells) around where you think they might be coming in.

Mix borax with some honey & leave it out. They will eat it & bring it back to their nest & it will kill them & their large family (so tragic). BUT, ants are wicked smart. If you make the concoction too strong, they will die too fast & they will not go back to that honey. They are fast learners. If you search online, you could find the perfect ratio of borax to honey.

AAhh found it. It's 1:3 ratio of borax to honey.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• When they spot the honey, they will surround it by the hundreds. Leave them be, they are all slowly dying. They might be gone for a few days, but thy will send more family members out to eat that honey. You will see them dwindling, and after a few weeks they should be gone. Sprinkle the counters with baby powder at night, this will keep them at bay while you're sleeping.

And ALWAYS keep your kitchen SUPER clean. They are scavengers & will find any bit of food left out.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i heard one time that cucumber peeIs heIp with that. i never tried it though. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had these guys in my kitchen! I accidentally left some donuts on the kitchen table... next morning when I woke up there were literally thousands of them devouring my food! First I got ant killer and sprayed the doorways and windows of where I found them (where they might have been coming in. Then my uncle (who worked for Terminix) suggested that the ants may have formed a colony in my window sill. So I took some clear caulk (or similar) and sealed around the window. Turns out there were cracks under the window, where they were coming through. The caulk worked wonders!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• There is a product called AntKil comes in a small red and white bottle with a blue cap. Put a couple drops on a piece of tin foil (where ever you saw the ants)...then ants will then swarm the foil, leave the foil and never return :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• glad you asked this & for samurai's answer, cause i have a black ant take over going on in my apartment! they came when the weather got cold through the pipes i think, in my bathroom sink of all places. they eventually found their way to the kitchen! now they mostly hang around the kitchen sink and countertops. but i clean my kitchen twice daily now and have seen the number of them decrease, as there is not much for them to eat anymore. but im going to try some of samurais other suggestions to see if i can get rid of them for good! i heard they are such a pain in the ass to get rid of!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Back in Boston, we had the big black ants too. Those are only bad if they are nesting in your walls. But, usually carpenter ants like it outside. They are much easier to get rid of.

Down here in GA was my first issue with these little black ants. They come in if it's too dry, too wet, too cold & too hot. They just love the indoors.

Keep an eye on how much they are eating the honey, if you notice they aren't going back to it, try making a different batch with corn syrup or something maple syrup. They sometimes figure out that they are being poisoned & won't go back to that food. Smart little fuckers. Obviously, i have dealt with this before....lol.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Instant Cream of Wheat or Instant Mashed Potatoes..... put it down where you see the ants. They will eat/carry it back to nest and then "blow up". Its not harmful to pets or children.

MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 7:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We've had problems with those tiny ants coming in for the winter for several years now, usually in a couple rooms at a time and usually the bathrooms. This year it was initially the laundry room and the kitchen and then the bathrooms. They ARE hard to get rid of and it is so maddening to see them just swarm a room! We spray, caulk and set out traps. If you decide to go the pesticide route, we have found that Terro, available in both a spray and traps, works the best. Did you know that live ants eat their (poisoned) dead friends--LOL--that's partly how it gets back to the colony? I hope you will be ant free soon!
    Cookie618

Answer by Cookie618 at 8:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2011