What does it mean when school is delayed by 2 hours?

The roads are icy here due to warm temps during the day. Does this mean the buses will be 2 hours late? Thanks for the info. This is the first time I have to deal with a delay. :)

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 6:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yeah, but you may want to call the school district & make sure the buses are running. Sometimes when we have a 2 hour delay, they will not run the buses here.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, the start of school will be delayed 2 hours, so the time the bus picks up your child will be delayed 2 hours as well. It may be beneficial to call the bus company and ask what time your child should be outside waiting.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• School will start 2 hours later then normal, so buses as well.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I was confused at first also, what it means is do everything you nomally do just delay it by 2 hours. If you drive you kids to the bus stop at 6:30 normally than you drive them at 8:30.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Not necessary.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It means that buses will run 2 hours later than usual. That if school usually starts at 8am, it will now start at 10am.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Try and find the local news website and make sure it doesnt say limited bus schedule. If it does you may or may not have busses today. If it doesnt say anything about limited bus schedules then they go 2 hours after they normally would. So if they catch the bus at 7:15 they will catch it at 9:15.

Answer by gemgem at 8:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• One thing to keep in mind - just because it's delayed by 2 hours, it doesn't mean that everything shifts - just the start time. They still come home at the same time.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Basically it is the most time a school district can take off of one day to still count it as a full day, at least in my area it is. So if it's really cold in the morning or foggy or something they can still have school, only 2 hours later, and not have to use a snow day or make it up at the end of the year. They happen all too frequently here, JMO.
    melissa920

Answer by melissa920 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes I agree with everyone I know I would rather have a 2 hour delay thn a snow day because you would have to make that up and it may be a beautiful day.... We have had 2 hour delays here
    aus14

Answer by aus14 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2011