How much can I expect to pay for a dress alteration?

I have to get a bridesmaids taken in a little bit and i think im going to have cups put in instead of wearing a bra. I have no idea what something like that costs. I have a fitting scheduled at the end of the week. Any thoughts on how much I can expect to pay?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 8:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• well i had to get a bridesmaid dress taken in and i took it to a lady who has a alteration shop in her basement. it was pretty difficult because i had to get it taken in a inch on each side and she had to match up the embroidery, etc. i think it cost me $50, but it did come out nice
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Are you doing it through the bridal shop? I personally would take it to a tailor, much cheaper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I paid $150 to have similar alterations done; I'd take it to a tailor (experienced in altering formal wear!), they will be less expensive than a bridal shop.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yeah, it totally depends on where you are taking it.
    You could prob spend 2ce as much through bridal shop than someone else.

Not knowing how much needs taken in + cups - I'd prob say in neighborhood of $150ish
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 8:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No, the bridal shop doesn't do it... kinda weird, I thought. Im going to a lady at an alteration place. She only does formal dresses.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• At a bridal shop to alter it as in hem it costs $40. To have cups put in, I don't know. But if u r having cups, stay at the bridal shop not a tailor.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The one I always go to charges $12/seam (so depending on the style of the dress, I'm guessing they would take in a little on each side, so $24 for that), but I don't know how much they would charge to put cups in. Sorry! I'm sure it depends on the area you live in as well. Ask around for recommendations - there are some good tailors, and some not so good!

Answer by missanc at 8:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• $150????? Geez.... the dress was just a few bucks more!
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd look for a seamstress maybe who advertises in the Pennysaver or local paper to do the alterations.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I went for the fitting today and got a estimate of 45-50. Pretty pricey in my opinion but less than I expected
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011