Do you think the circus is cruel to animals?

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pets

• no, i know the circus is cruel to animals.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• How do you know?
    MLM0503

Comment by MLM0503 (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No. I think the animals are treated very well.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• the amount of animals sent to rehab from circuses, the training techniques they use, the fact that they live in cages instead of habitats, the high rate of kills and some of the problems the animals acquire from lack of exercise (for mind and body) as well as lack of proper housing.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes. I think that they are.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 8:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

•  

no, i know the circus is cruel to animals.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• In most cases--they are trained very cruely. There is some exceptions for the ones tho, that work in Vegas shows..they do get better care, however it is true, that these wild animals being used to "entertain" are usually treated very abused. I do not go to any circuses because of this...look it up..the ASPC has ALOT of cases surrounding animals and circus abuse, as well as the Humane Society and PETA.
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Nope. Years ago they were - most modern circuses treat their animals very well. Many are overflow zoo animals, or ones that would otherwise not be able to live in the wild because they were born in captivity. Some even participate in breeding programs to help save rarer species - the white tiger comes to mind.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, I do. And even if they weren't treated cruelly per se, the circus is still no place for these beautiful wild animals. Elephants for example become very depressed when held in captivity and forced to perform ridiculous tricks. This is NOT natural to them and many end up suffering the equivalent of a nervous breakdown in a human. I'm sure you've seen video of circus elephants snapping and going on a rampage...?
    Wild animals belong in the wild, with the exception of those who are housed in protected areas close to their natural environments and allowed to behave in ways that nature intended.
    There are plenty of undercover videos taken at various circuses to show how these animals are trained and treated. If you watch some of them, you might not want to go to the circus again. I know I sure don't.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• scuba....here's just a short list for you to look at (http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?more=1&p=424)

and as long as you see an ankus being used i'm not sure how you could feel that way.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2011