At want age a kid can walk to school if is near?

GlitteribonMom

Asked by GlitteribonMom at 8:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• For mine, never. I dont trust the world anymore. I always drove them, then bought them a car to drive themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 8:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I wouldn't allow it in this age in which we live. There are too many perverts and things can happen very quickly, especially if someone is watching and knows the time your children are enroute. I think it is simply too risky.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• There are a lot other things that can effect that answer. In a group I would say a little younger, how many streets they have to cross and what kind of area stick out as big ones.

At 11 I started to let DS walk to the bus stop though.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• In our school district, if we lived close enough and if my child had someone to walk with I would let them start around 3rd grade, but we live in a very safe area and there are always tons of people I know out walking, running, etc. If they were walking alone, never. But I would walk with them rather than drive - great exercise for both of us!

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Unless the school is across the street from you, in this day and age, I would say never!

Answer by older at 9:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• For me never.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My kids rode their bikes to school. The twins started around 3rd/4th grade. My younger two were difference since I was the school crossing guard every year that my daughter was there and until my youngest son was going into 4th grade. He rode his bike to school in 4th and 5th grades.

But we don't live in a large city or unpopulated rural area. We live in a small town and with many of the kids walking and riding bikes to and from school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• mine were both 8,,,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 9:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• When I was in kindergarten, back in 1984 :) I walked to school.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Our school doesn't want the kids riding bikes to school until they are in second grade. We only live a few blocks from the school but I do not see myself letting her walk alone. We all walk together on the nice days.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2011