Birds and bees?

What did you say to explain about sex to your daughter(s)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It depended on the age. With my oldest dd I had the talk about her body changing and her monthly bill around 9 yrs old. I didnt go into specifics when it came to sex until she actually got her period and had it around a year. With the boys I did their talk at around 12-13 yrs old when I started noticing they were getting hair legs, acne, taller etc. I always started with explaining I know this was not a conversation they wanted to have with me (especially the boys lol but their dad was MIA). Then I would ask where they believed babies came from. Id let them answer. Then I would explain.

Answer by gemgem at 8:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had many talks with her over the years about sexuality and it was always in the context of marriage. I never had the one big talk with her, but I did make sure to answer any questions that she had. She did not marry until she was 31 and when she became engaged, she read several books on Christian marriage prior to the wedding. A few days before the wedding, I asked her if she had any questions for me, and she said she did not. Her husband read the same books that she did. I think having too much information is just as damaging, if not more so, than having too little. Anyway, this is what worked very well for our family.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My daughter is 9 so I've had the talk with her about her body and about basic of how babies are made. We haven't really talked about specifics yet, I'm waiting for all of that information to sink in. lol But she occasionally asks me questions about things and I answer whatever she asks. Next year in 5th grade they do a basic sex ed class here and I definitely will talk to her about exactly what happens before they do. She already knows where I stand about sex within marriage only.

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It certainly depends on the age of the child. Most schools around here cover this stuff during the primary years and it is usually taught by specialists. Your example is the best teaching. Make sure she knows about menstruation before she is 10. You will find she picks up lots of incorrect information from school friends, from TV, from films, and from social media. It is best if you ask her lots of questions as you are trying to tell her the information. Avoid telling her about bestiality, prostitution, and SM until she is much older.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2011