Stray cats everywhere! How do we keep them away?

We are new to this neighborhood. Our next door neighbor feeds about 7 or 8 stray cats. We assume they are strays anyway. Maybe they are hers. These cats use our yard as a litter box. They spray my huge outdoor flower pots. They were getting under the deck and spraying. We figured out how they were getting in and blocked that off.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop them from sparying here? Are there any plants that may deter the cats?

I am worried if I plant anything this year that they will kill it.

tiddliwinks

Asked by tiddliwinks at 8:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Well I would go ask the neighbor if they are their cats. If they arent I would call the SPCA and see if there is a no kill clinic in the area and ask if you can please get someone to come get the cats. If that isnt an option and they are the neighbors then I would ask them to please either keep the cats inside or somehow in their yard. If that doesnt work you can be a bitch and call animal control. If you dont want to do that then put up something reflective (cats get wigged out by shiny things that distort what they are looking at). For instance maybe in a place by the deck they were getting in hang a couple of CD's or bottles or water. You can also buy things if you google online that repel cats.

Answer by gemgem at 9:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• we had this problem 2 years in a row,,, we have a cat, but inside only,,, we had to go and trap them and take them to the animal shelter, had to do it with squirrels too
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 9:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i agree with gemgem.... you could also see if there is an organization that traps and fixes feral cats and then releases them again. that would aleviate the spraying problem.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had a similar problem years ago. A neighbor of mine had several cats and they would always come into my yard and fight/spray/poop in my yard. I wasted money on animal repellants that claim to just repel animals (all animals) from a certain area and they didn't work very well at all. The best thing I found to use was moth balls. Cats seem to hate the smell (as do most people) but if you sprinkle some where they like to congregate, they will get the hint after a while and stay away. Plus, a box of moth balls is WAY cheaper than the other stuff I tried. Good luck!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011