Bathroom Etiquette

So I had a guy out to give me estimates for blinds. The guy, DH & I ended up standing in the master bedroom chatting for a minute. To get to the master bedroom you have to walk right by the guest/powder bathroom, which the door was opened, you couldn't miss it. The "blinds" guy excused himself saying he had to use the restroom. I started to point down the hall to the guest bath, when the guy just opened the door to MY bathroom, the MASTER, and went in. I felt weird just standing there waiting for him to get done, but I think I would have felt weirder leaving a stranger alone in my bedroom. I had the door shut. I could have had personal things out in there. My husband said he wouldn't have done it, but wouldn't call it rude. I think it's weird and rude. Maybe I was just raised too conservatively. I know this isn't a big deal. I was just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• If I knew someone was coming over to be in my room I would make sure anything personal was put away. Not that big of a deal what he did. Lol Strangers in my house always seems awkward anyway.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think it is rude. The master bathroom is for the couple in the house, where as a guest bath is for guests, which he was. I must be weird or too conservative too then lol. I actually fired a babysitter for using my master bathroom and not the guest bathroom when I wasnt home. That kind of stuff drives me crazy.

Answer by gemgem at 9:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• very rude...you should ask.."is there a rest room i may use"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It was rude and very awkward? How does this guy not know if he's visiting other people's homes?
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 9:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It does seem pretty rude to me as well, but then again I was raised pretty conservatively too.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I was raised far from conservatively, and I still find it incredibly rude. It's common courtesy to ask if there is a restroom you can use... even if you were standing smack in the middle of a bathroom! Guess common courtesy is as common as common sense anymore.
    PeaceLoveKnit

Answer by PeaceLoveKnit at 9:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Rude
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Of course he should asked.... If you had the door shut it was pretty bold of him to just assume and walk in some bedrooms have more then one closet it would have been funny if that was the door he picked!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree with most of the other ladies. I think it's a little on the rude side. I was taught never to open people's closed doors unless directed to do so, for one thing. I feel strange about ANYONE, aside from my children, entering our master suite at all, so for someone to just help themselves...it would weird me out, and I have nothing to hide.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Kinda awkward, but no biggie.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 10:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2011