Lara Logan Beaten and Sexually Assaulted by Mob at Tahrir Square

NEW YORK - Top CBS News foreign correspondent Lara Logan suffered a brutal sexual assault at the hands of a mob in Egypt while covering the downfall of president Hosni Mubarak, the network has said.

Logan was in Cairo's central Tahrir Square on Friday, the day Mubarak stepped down, and was separated from her crew in the crowd, the US television network said in a statement.

"She and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into a frenzy," CBS said. "In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew."

Logan "was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."

Question:   Mobs can be so terrifying and unpredictable.  The article states at at least 140 journalists were injured or killed covering the protests.    Do you think journalists should be in placed the midst of such crowds?

SuperChicken

Asked by SuperChicken at 9:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is up to them. They usually go into these fields so they can get in the middle of a story and tell what is happening. I dont think this woman should have been there knowing that things were out of control. It was terrible what happened to her and I hope she makes a full recovery, but I doubt those who did this to her will be caught. If they are caught I seriously doubt there will be any justice. I dont think any Govt can really tell reporters they CANT be somewhere, the can advise.

Answer by gemgem at 9:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think they understand the risks involved.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "My concern is that they are pressured into being there at the risk of losing their career because some other network might get the scoop. "

Nope. Not a bit of that. No network would expose itself to the resulting lawsuits!

Foreign correspondents would vehemently object to being pulled home. They are choosing this.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• This risk is part of their job for reporting what is going on in the world, sad but true.

Answer by older at 9:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• This is so awful. My heart goes out to all. These are basicly good people with a good cause. But all groups there is a minority of bad and this can cause such horrible harm.

I do not know if they should be there. Because there is danger in all walks of life. This seemed huge. There is no good answer.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It is their choice to be in "the thick of things" so to speak. What happened is wrong on so many levels but when a person puts themselves in the middle of a dangerous situation they must be prepared to face the worst of humanity. Many times the office of "Press" will protect them but a mob is a mob and comes with no guarantees to anyone.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It's up to them, but they know these risks come with the job. Some chose to go, and later decided to leave. Some stay, because they are willing to put their life on the line for the story. It's up to them to decide for themselves, I suppose. That's extremely sad that this happened to her, but I'm glad some people tried to help her and I hope she recovers soon.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "I wish our american reporters would stay home. We don't need to know what's going on bad enough for them to get hurt... "

absolutely. that was my first thought. That is horrible what happened to this woman. maybe she can now speak up for other reporters not needing to take on (willingly) such a risk. It's their right and choice to be there, but i don't want to watch a news segment if i know that something horrible happened to the reporter in doing so. People are media hungry, maybe if we are not so greedy, the reporters wouldn't feel the need to put themselves in dangerous sitations just to get the news to us? i really don't think there was that much more news to be learned from being in the thick of a mob opposed to taping it from away in a safer location.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• American reporters are risking their lives by being over there. Female or Male. They enter at their own risk.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I am just so sad for this woman. You never expect it to be you . . . . we all never expect stuff like that to happen to us.

I hope she heals quickly.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011