Isnt Baby cereal supposed to get babies to sleep more during the night??

At 3 months my DD was sleeping through the night :) Sometimes I would even wake up before her. So at her four month doctors appt her pediattrition told us the start cereal before bed for her to sleep better. And i know she was supposed to start soon so i had already had it. But the first night she woke up three times! The last time she did that was two months old. Am I not make enough? she i just give her formula or just give her cereal in the middle of the day? Advicceee please

Glouii

Asked by Glouii at 9:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• In theory it is supposed to help because they wont wake up to eat if they are full. The first night you might not see much change. Their little bodies are getting used to solids and maybe it gave the baby a stomach ache? I would try less first and see how it works, and look at the stool. Mine always got constipated.

Answer by gemgem at 9:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No, that's not its intended purpose. It's food.

One side effect might be better sleep, but not always.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Though it is reportedly something that helps babies sleep through the night it can often have the opposite effect because babies aren't ready to digest it yet. Yours could be having an upset tummy.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I never saw a difference with any of my 5 when they started cereal. They were all sleeping at least 8 hours by 2 months on just breastmilk. Adding cereal never made a difference, although they did all stretch their sleep to 12 hours/night by 6 months. I can see where there's a theory it might help, but it wasn't my experience and I've never heard of anyone that it actually helped.
    When I started, mine just had one meal/day of cereal in the middle of the day after breastfeeding (not sure what you do with formula). I gradually added one meal of solids every couple of days until they were up to 3 meals/day. But I also didn't start solids with #4 and #5 until closer to 6 months.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'd say get a new pediatrician. That is completely false. My first daughter woke up once a night to eat till she was 13 months old. She was a very tiny baby. My youngest has been sleeping through the night since she was 3 months, but she's a bigger baby. I know sleep is important, but some babies just need the extra feeding.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It didn't affect my kids sleeping at all. Her tummy is probably bothering her. I would stop the cereal and reintroduce it at 6 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Cereal DOES NOT make them sleep. Indeed, it usually makes them wake more because the carbs raise their blood sugar before they go to sleep. Then the sugar levels plummet and they wake up.

But you should also know that waking at night is normal... sleeping all night is unusual and not generally carried through all of year one. "Sleeps like a baby" is a huge lie... unless you mean waking every couple of hours!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No that is an old wives tale!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree with gdiamante- it DOES NOT HELP with sleeping. And I hate it when people say they put cereal in their baby's bottle to 'help them stay full longer' or 'help them sleep through the night'.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Uh, no. She's probably waking up from a tummy ache because she's not used to the formula. Stop giving it to her before bed. She was already sleeping through the night so she didn't need anything to change. She doesn't "need" cereal. We skipped it with our last 3 kids and went right to fruits and veggies at 5-6 months.
    Our 2nd also got cereal in his bottle for reflux and it did nothing for sleeping through the night. It didn't change his sleep patterns at all. All it did was help him not spit up so much.
    My kids all slept through the night when they were ready (all formula fed). #1 and #2 were both around 6 months. #3 was 5 weeks (lasted until 7 months and then she was up 1-3 times a night until after she turned 1). #4 was 3 months and #5 was 3 1/2 months. They were sleeping 8-12 hours a night at those times (depending on the kid). We didn't do anything to make them sleep longer.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2011