Another month and still nothing?

Well i dont know if you remember me about 4 weeks ago I asked your advice about my mil not paying her $15,000 loan. Well dh said he would talk to her and here we are another month and nothing. When I asked him he told he'll get to it when he gets to it. Not only that but he has the guts to tell me we should have our daughters first birthday party at mils house because our house is not big enough. She lives 2 miles away and has never bothered to call, text to see how her grandaughters are doing. How do I push him into asking her to start paying for her loan? at least something we are struggling financially.

morenarfr05

Asked by morenarfr05 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• That is the challenge in dealing with money and family. Just tell him hey we need her to start paying back on these because we need the money as well, if the bank had loaned her the money this grace period would not exist.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You should not have to push him. He should be a strong enough man to want to do the right thing by his own family. I would talk to her myself if it were affecting us financially.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ~*Eeck*~... we have a rule of thumb in our home to NEVER do business with friends or family

As for trying to get them to pay back, I am reminded of what my grandfather told me... "Never give what you cannot afford to loose", be prepared they won't pay you back and do so yourself
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• your husbandmay not feel comfortable about asking people for money that is owed to him, let alone his mother. if you think is the case then, you need to step up. that 15, 000 loan is hurting your household not hers. you are gonna have to ask her.
    good luck
    mamaprincess001

Answer by mamaprincess001 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It is very likely that you do not know the whole relationship. I do not remember the previous post.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Why don't you just call her yourself? I would calmly, and nicely tell her your having problems making ends meet, and it would be great if you get some arrangement worked out, IDK, like $500 per month? I wouldn't bring up her not asking about the kids or anything else, but the loan. You can set it up that she can direct deposit the money right into your account on a certain day each month,, tell her you don't want any bad feelings over this, and you just needed to share with her that you really need it back,. Contact your bank and get the info on the direct deposit, and have the paperwork with you when you talk to her,, just try not to get mad! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think you should leave this alone. It's HIS mother. You will probably never see this money, a risk taken when loaning money to anybody, relative or otherwise. Personally, I would say hell no to having a party at her house. I'm not even sure I would invite her since she takes no interest in her grandchild. I bet your DH will invite her, though, and it will keep the peace best if you are polite. Don't pick a fight, don't say anything about money, don't do anything but be polite and classy.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• did you have a contract with her to repay the loan? something on paper saying she is agreeing to the loan and will pay it back...
    if not there i s nothing you can do but keep bugging your dh to bug his mom and it might be just that she will never repay you.. wouldn't having the party at a mcdonalds playplace be a better idea then her house? after she isn't all that interested in the baby in the first place.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011