What are your feelings on women being required to sign up for the military draft?

This was news to me, but I read in World magazine this week (and later viewed it on YouTube) that Obama thinks that women should be required to register at 18 for the military draft? What are your feelings on that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I just worry about my daughters. Of course I worry about my son too, but I don't believe we are made the same. I think that we all have strengths and weaknesses. My thought is this.....why isn't what the women did during World War II enough? While the men were off to war, women kept this country running. Not only did they take care of their families, but a lot went to work in factories and made military equipment, kept industries going. I think women tend to pull together and work hard when faced with a crisis, but I don't believe we were created to be on the front lines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Hey - we wanted equality - we got it.

You can't say "I want to be equal!" and then split hairs about it. You've gotta take the bad with the good.

(I wasn't saying YOU and in OP, just a general YOU)
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I think it is a great idea. I agree with Duster.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I'm old fashioned. I don't think women should be policemen, firemen, politicians, or in the military unless they get put on desk jobs. Some women are very delicate and feminine, others are very manly. So signing up for the draft should be voluntary. Or at least based on those characteristics.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I agree with Chrissy. I am a proud SAHM who does laundry and cooks my husband 3 fresh meals a day. I think women should stay at home and take care of their men. The could be nurses or secretaries in the military.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• it doesn't matter what we think about it anymore does it? it never mattered to men what they thought when the draft was in effect. if the american people voted for obama they get the equal drat card along with it. all those young voters, will they be willing to voluntarily sign up?
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 9:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I think it’s a great idea.

Israel has mandatory military service for both men and women. Typically, men are required to serve for 3 years and women for 2 years.
    cm08

Answer by cm08 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I was in the military and I joined voluntarily (obviously). I don't think it's a bad idea. The military teaches values that are otherwise lacking from the general public. Not from everyone, but from far too many people. I would say that there is nothing wrong with having the draft for women too, but that everyone should still be allowed to choose the MOS they are to have. Some women are more suited for infantry than for supply. I am not a manly girl by any means, maybe a little tomboy, but not much, and I would've chosen infantry or field artillery in a heartbeat. Those jobs are not open to females though. So I was a Multi-Media Illustrator. But I was always a soldier first!!!
    LizzyLynn

Answer by LizzyLynn at 9:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• geez..navy wife...You make me feel bad...I'm not a nurse or a secretary in the military...I guess that's going to make me a bad wife. I'm only in the national guard, but if I get called up I guess I'll be a bad wife since I'm not at home cooking 3 meals for my husband....I guess being that I joined the guard not only to serve but to also get help with my college education was a bad idea. How selfish of me.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 9:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Chrissy, you just made me puke on my pretty little pink heels.

Seriously ladies- make a choice- in the event that someone invades your home, are you going to pick up a baseball bat and knock the hell out of the invader, or are you going to sit helplessly and hope that a man comes and rescues you? How is serving your country different?

BTW- The women who worked hard for this nation during WWII would be totally ashamed of those of you who vote "wait for a man to come rescue me".
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 9:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2008