How many DPO do you use HPT?

I know the whole "first day of missed period" spiel. The thing is, I ovulated later this month than normal. I have been tracking for years and in other months where that happened my period still came on like clockwork... However, sometimes that left only 7 or 8 days past ovulation.

7 or 8 days past is likely to be before implantation right?

So is there any point in testing on that day? How many DPO do you recommend?

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• 18-21 to be for sure
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank you. That makes sense. Normally I see AF on about day 10... so I'll be pretty sure one way or the other by day 18 anyway! :)
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I always wait 18 because that's when you pass up a normal luteal phase time so that's when you can pretty much guarentee you are pregnant but DEFINATELY I do NOT test before 14 DPO.

Some women do...I choose not to waiste tests but that's just me.
    Anonymous

• Give the egg about a week to travel the tubes to the uterus. Then allow at least another week or so for it to implant. Depending on your own body chemistry you **might** get a positive at day 9 or 10. Most people take a bit longer to get a positive response, around 12-15 days.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• General rule of thumb is 3 days past your longest luteal phase or 18 dpo, whichever comes last. Implantation can happen anywhere from 6-10 dpo, and you should wait at least a couple of days after that to test, and then use an early detection test if you're going to. With a regular test, I would wait until at least 14 dpo, if not the full 18 that's recommended.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011