Getting daughter to bed on time.

I am having difficulties getting my 10 year old to bed, she complains about this, that or the other and sometimes doesn't get to bed until 9:30 - 10:00, I have tried many things but they don't seem to be working with her, she used to go to bed really well and this just started happening in the last month. Any suggestions?

Christi8226

Asked by Christi8226 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• i would set a time - whatever i picked and i would explain to her that if she isnt in bed by that minute on the clock i will be timing her ... and she will have to be in bed how-ever-many-minutes-extra it took her to get her butt into bed the next night... after about a week i think i could break any kid into scooting into bed on time because they know they will just go earlier and earlier so the fight isnt worth the time - all the can do is lose...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I like both of the other moms suggestions. If she jusdoes not want to go to bed because she is trying to make her own rules, I would use ArmyWifeAshlies ideas. On the other hand, she could be having some difficulties that need to be talked about.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• tell her bedtime is at whatever time (it was 9 for me at 10) and she needs to be in bed. No tv, no reading, nothing. Otherwise tell her what her consequence will be and follow through. consistency is key. every minute she refuses to go to bed, make the consequence worse.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Chamomile tea, talk with her softly about her day as she lays in bed. Maybe she has some anxiety from school/friends. Just knowing you're there, & available to her is soothing. hth
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Start making her get ready for bed earlier. My kids that age know that if they aren't in bed at 8:30, then however many minutes they are late, they go to bed the next night that many minutes earlier (ie not in bed until 8:43, tomorrow night they go to bed at 8:17).

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Tell her that for every minute late she is going to bed, she will lose that much time on computer or tv the next day
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My children are on a strict non-negotiable bedtime schedule.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011