How do you deal with being a single mom?

I'm a new mom. I'm having trouble getting over the fact that I recently had an unwanted baby.. I'm not loving being a mom & alot of it has to do with the fact that I'm unhappy due to being alone. Stories & suggestions would be nice.

Enunnie10

Asked by Enunnie10 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I just do. I love being a mom though.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It's hard being alone. Due to a lot of other factors in my life (depression & other problems caused by it) I don't get to have my son stay with me yet, so I'm alone a lot of the time. I have him come spend the day with me when my family is available to bring him out & come with him, but when that doesn't get to happen, it's really hard to cope.
    The best thing I've found that helps is to talk to people. I have a lot of mom friends. Most of them are just online friends who live in other cities or even further than that, but just being able to talk to them helps a lot.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I wasnt a single mom when they were babies but was when they got a little older. It is really hard to be a single mom because you have to be everything to everyone in the household. You need to change your point of view on the baby though, it is not an unwanted baby. You made the decision to have the baby which by default makes this baby very wanted. You need to take things a day at a time, and not be scared to ask for help when you need it. Take time for yourself when the baby is asleep, even if it is just for a long bubble bath.

Answer by gemgem at 10:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I was a single mom for 3 years when my kids were in preschool/elementary school. I always tried to think of the positives - I didn't have to answer to anyone else about my parenting choices, I could watch whatever I wanted to watch on tv, I could cook/eat whatever I wanted when I wanted to, etc.
    You don't have to be alone! Check out local mom's groups, do you work?, get together with friends. Nobody else is going to make you happy until you are happy with yourself.

Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011