When should I give my son rice cereal?

BTW he is 4 months old.

ja2010

Asked by ja2010 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start now. My son had really bad reflux so he has had cereal in his bottle since he was a month old.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You can call his doctor and ask him if he can start. That's what I did.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If you're bf'ing, I would hold off as long as you could. But, depending on the child's development, 5-10m.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I called my dr she said to wait til 6 months since he was premature.
    ja2010

Comment by ja2010 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• follow your doctor's recommendation

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yea, definitely wait until at *least* 6 months. I'd do 6 months adjusted (and did with my own preemie). But, I wouldn't start with rice cereal. So many more yummy, nutritious foods out there to try!! Baked sweet potato is a good choice, as well as avocado.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• At least six months... even longer since he's a preemie. Adjust the age. But don't feel you must do rice cereal. It has NOTHING to commend it but blandness. And people wonder why toddlers get picky! We introduce them to solids that taste like wallpaper paste and then expect them to trust us! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• 6 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Per my Dr.'s recommendation, I started my son right around 4 months. The mixture was SO fluid-like the first time, I don't know how much he actually got. My son was nursing CONSTANTLY and Dr. said to try a little rice cereal mixed with breastmilk but to NOT put it in a bottle, to make sure that he eats it from a spoon. I was told putting cereal in a bottle, they can suck it down faster and get too full. Anyway, we started with like a teaspoon of cereal once a day and gradually increased the amount.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My first son, I started him on rice cereal at 6 months, my daughter I started at 5 months(which she didnt like and would refuse to eat,lol), and my youngest son I started at 4 months and he eats it up like a champ.His doctor said to give it to him 2x a day for practice eating...but watch that because it can make them a little bit backed up in the poop department!! lol So I cut it down to rice cereal one time a day..at dinner time and a fruit in the morning(weve done bananas and just started on trying peaches)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011