How do I take care of my kids "bark"

She looks so ill and she wont take medicine half of the time. Is there a home remedy thats safe.
I half to get her well because I feel sorry for her, and also my work is complaining because i am not there!

welltesterchick

Asked by welltesterchick at 9:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Bark? Sound like croup. They told be to give lots of fluids, and keep a humidifier in the bed room. Also if you take them outside in the evening the mousture in the air can help. It lasted about a week. I hope this helps.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• yes I would say plenty of fluids and a steamy hot bath ,to clear the chest .good luck
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Has the cough been evaluated by a Dr? A barky cough is sometimes related to asthma or RAD-reactive airway disease...it is sort of like asthma but needs a trigger to go off. If if persists for very long I would have her seen. Even if it isn't asthma viral cold that are bad and hang on for more than 7 days can lead to bacterial infections like pnuemonia.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Humidifier, viks vapor rub. Go to the Dr

Answer by louise2 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• "Bark" doesn't sound too good. Have you gone to the doctor yet? I know we don't have to go to the doctor every single time our children sniffle or cough. On the other hand I am a firm believer if a child is under the weather for more than three days then better to get them checked out. She may not like medicine but many pharmacies have tastety flavors they can add to mask the taste. When you say "bark" as a description it makes me think that it is more than a slight cough. As far as work - you may have some options depending on how big your company is. If you have over 50 employees then you can take FMLA. They have to let you by law. So if you run out of days you have your child's doctor fill out the paper work. They can't fire you if you take FMLA. Its the law. I used FMLA for my son to take him to all his doctor appointments.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My cough always sounds like a bark when I am sick. It might be just the way she coughs.

Answer by louise2 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My son always gets croup in the winter. If it is croup, Ibuprofen will help with the inflamation in the throat. Also, just keep her calm because getting worked up and crying will make it worse.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008