Agree or disagree? (from the Daily Nebraskan)

Government should pay for education and birth control to prevent poverty and welfare

Whoever said money can't buy happiness was probably never late on his rent.

He probably didn't read the newspaper, either.

For those who have money, it's easy not to equate it to happiness. The brain of the financially comfortable isn't burdened with feeding a family or getting a carburetor fixed. They can focus on solving complex problems at their job or settling on either Verizon or AT&T for their new iPhone – and those certainly don't bring true happiness. But, having a choice on where to spend money is a far cry from those who have to choose where they can't spend their money this month – the rent, the phone bill, the car insurance, you name it.

The figures released from last year's census are jaw-dropping. In 2009, the top 20 percent of the working population (those making more than $100,000 a year) accounted for 50 percent of all income generated in the United States. As if this figure weren't shocking enough, the more than 40 million people living in poverty generate only 3.4 percent. According to the Associated Press, this disparity is higher than in 2008 and almost twice what it was in 1968. But wait! There's more: In 2009, 31 states reported an increase in people living below the poverty line and there was a 4 percent drop in median income nationally. Unfortunately, as one may have guessed, the majority of those living in poverty are families with children or single mothers.

CliffsNotes version: The poor are getting poorer while the rich are getting richer.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/opinion/mason-government-should-pay-for-education-birth-control-to-prevent-poverty-welfare-1.2469956?pagereq=1

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• But to the real question: doesn't the government already pay for education? Public schools, public universities, student loans, Pell grants, the GI bill, etc? And while low-cost/no-cost birth control might sound good, I'm pessimistic that it would work. By and large the woman who would take the time to seek out free birth control is the woman who already has. The number of unwanted pregnancies would go down slightly, but probably not enough to offset the cost of the program.

TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Lol at the melodrama. Murder! MURDER!

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No we need to fix the ones we got to get at the ACTUAL agitators of poverty....not throw a couple bucks worth of food stamps and call it assistance.

***
    as·sis·tance
       /əˈsɪstəns/ [uh-sis-tuhns]
    –noun
    the act of assisting; help; aid; support.

Assistance means just that! Assistance does not mean full support!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Unlike the author, I'm heartened that all of 20% of Americans are making $100,000+ a year. In fact, my parents are in this category. My father is a non-union plumber; my mother, a homemaker. Their success does not stifle the success of others. A pet peeve of mine is the thought that there is a cap on the amount of money in the American economy. That in order for the rich to get richer the money must be taken from the poor in the U.S. The fact of the matter is the rich are getting richer...and so are the poor. The standard of living has been rising consistently for all economic groups since WWII. And does it come as a surprise to anyone that the number of those in poverty increases during a recession?

TikiWiki33

• The government already pays for birth control via Medicaid or your local health department. The health department (in my county) hands out free condoms and birth control pills or at least they DID years ago when I had to use them until our insurance started.

Education is vital to getting ahead but so is sheer willpower and downright stubbornness. There are millionaires that have made their fortunes without the benefit of a high school education BUT that doesn't happen by sitting on your ass waiting for someone else to make it happen for you.

Something has changed over the last 20 years. It's almost like people's backbones have been yanked out and replaced with limp spaghetti.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• .take away all entitlements and MURDER the poor , disabled and elderly.....

Your dramatic sentiments are entertaining... A discussion of taking entitlements off the table means a real hard look wasteful spending politicians have condoned in the name of votes that are doing NOTHING to end poverty....  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• UNFUNDED government is the problem. You can't spend money freely for 30 years and CUT revenue at the same time. You can not open the borders to free trade and cry when the jobs go to the places with cheap labor. You can not create corporate loopholes (entitlements) and then wonder why large corporations move operations, jobs and their tax base offshore. You can not incessantly complain about the deficit, yet balk when YOU might be affected by the solutions.

FYI, there is a difference between wealth and income. The vast majority of mega wealthy folks do NOT actually work...it's all inheritance, trusts and protected assets. Not working the 9-5 grind-please do some research!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Washington State came up with some amazing public video announcements against teen pregnancy, they were then told to either remove them from air and promote abstinence only videos (already proven to be less effective) or lose their grant money and be fined. While abstinence IS the best birth control, preaching abstinence only is the most ineffective method of birth control.

As for the rich/poor thing, I'm a family of 4 living on roughly $20,000-$25,000 a YEAR. Explain to me why it is necessary to buy a brand new Mercedes/BMW every two years or the newest gadget/thing/doohicky every six months? After I pay my rent I have to decide if I'm going to eat this month or if all my groceries are going to go into the mouths of my 2, yes 2, kids. I am not on welfare, and I do not take government assistance. So, WHO'S table am I taking food from?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Sooooo, if the poor are getting poorer, can we discuss taking entitlements off the table?... They obviously aren't 'fixing' the poverty rates...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• In a matter of speaking the government does pay for education. Of course much of it is our tax dollars but that's the same thing.
    I have no problem with paying school taxes if we are getting what the kids deserve. It's skin in the game and parents should be involved.
    I think this idiot means the government should pay for education to all ends by just throwing money at any and all problems encountered. That is just wrong and absolutely not going to help our education problems.
    As far as birth control, hell no. If you want to have sex and not have babies do something about it. Condoms are cheap and abstinence is cheaper. If you get pregnant and want an abortion then you should have to pay for it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2011