how do you get a 8 year old to keep room clean and a 16 year old too????

nettabug13

Asked by nettabug13 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Bribery! If you clean it then you get 10 extra mins on the Wii
    mrsmochamom

Answer by mrsmochamom at 11:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• For my kids ( 7 and 13) they have learned that if I come upstairs with a trash bag, they are in trouble. I have no problems putting everything they didn't pick up in a trash bag, either to be thrown out or returned at a later date. Now I just have to threaten that, and they go pick up. It isn't always how I would keep it clean, but at least I can see the floor...lol. I am also pretty lax about it during the week when everyone is busy, but Sat. morning I want to be able to vacuum so it has to get done. Good luck!
    goaliemom66

Answer by goaliemom66 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• start by taking most of their stuff way and tell them when they keep what have cleaned for about a week you give something back to them every week.. and if they want something new they have to keep their room cleaned for about a month...also if they want people to come stay the night with them clean your room and you will let that happen.. i hope this helps good luck
    lorililly

Answer by lorililly at 11:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I do the trash thing as well it really works if you throw something away then they know you mean what you say.
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 11:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• im 25 and still dont clean my room
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Anything that is left out and appears to be trash will get thrown out like it's trash. Try this when those pricey Xbox 360 games are all over the floor and they'll know that you mean business.
    No_Ordinary_Mom

Answer by No_Ordinary_Mom at 6:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have tried the trash can thing and they get all nervous but I usually have to go in and pick it up when they are at school, because I can't stand it. Or if they want a friend over I tell them they cannot play until the room is picked up. (Like the floor has to be able to be seen). I did not keep my room clean as a child and I think as they get older this may change. Especially when they have their own place. Boys are just messy people look at our DH's.
    maryztutti

Answer by maryztutti at 12:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2008