Ideas for inexpensive Christmas gifts for children

My husband was permantly laid off from him job yesterday. He was an account ex. at an auto supplier company. The news comes as an unexpected shock to us. As we have three children I'm trying to figure out ways to keep the cost of Christmas down. Our children are 9,9 and 4 years old and all still believe in Santa. If we tell them Christmas will be tight this year because Daddy lost his job they won't understand how that has anything to do with them....after all, Santa brings the gifts, not Mom and Dad....can anyone please help me?

KateD.

Asked by KateD. at 9:27 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• we have a charity called salvation army in england and they help out people in the same predicament at this time of year do you have car boot sales over there ,sometimes you can get really good value toys in places like that . It is hard though especially if the older one is after the latest thing .ie high school musical is the "in" thing over in the uk and you cant get the stuff anyway .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• tell the 9 year olds the truth about santa....they're old enough. as for cheap, go to second hand stores. Thrift stores are great, you can always find something way cheaper there than at a store. you can try Craigslist.org and Ebay. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• You can make homemade playdough and sidewalk chalk, and part of the gift is making it together, my kids love that. As for Santa, I myself am laid off, and I just explained to my kids, ages 7 & 5, that just like money is tight for me, Santa doesn't have a ton of money to buy supplies to make presents, and so he might not be able to bring them as much stuff this year, since he has to make presents for all the kids in the world. They're cool with that right now; we'll see if they're still happy on Xmas morning. lol Hope that helps!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• You just have to be creative.
    For example, today I was in Target and I saw Nerf gun things that shoot small green balls. I thought that would be great to get those and set up some targets in our basement. Make a big target with a large hole them make them smaller and smaller. After target practice, you can make smaller targets to put around the basement, maybe put small nets or baskets behind them. Then keep score, who hits the most targets and who gets most balls through the holes – while running or jumping. Set a timer and see if they can beat their score each time. I also saw card board bricks 8 for $2.50, those would be perfect for targets or for battle huts.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Then purchase a lot of small items. Most kids don't see a price tag, they see the amount of items. If they get 25 small things that cost a buck each they don't care, they got a lot. Also, most kids LOVE items from the dollar store - have you ever gone in and you child wanted nothing from the dollar store? Think about how you can make more out of every gift.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I agree about the $ stores. We have a $ tree here and that's where most of our 7 yr olds stuff will come from this year. I also crochet so I'll be making a hat, scarf and some slippers for her. I have some fabric and some elastic so I'll also be making some things for her hair. In total I won't be spending more than $25-30 on her entire xmas. Last year I spent $50 but didn't make anything myself and she was elated.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 8:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If you don't want to tell them about Santa not being real then you can tell them that since so many parents are losing their jobs like their daddy, Santa has to slim down what he gives to all the children of the world so he can help all the parents who need him this year.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 8:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Tell them yo u have to pay santa.....
    ToberzMama

Answer by ToberzMama at 9:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2008