Christmas Gifts needed for Foster kids

I have just recently found out that my friend just took in three foster kids. Since they just were put into the system they can't get into the free christmas present programs out there. I don't know what to do. I am asking my friends for donations but it is hard times for a lot of them. I just had twin boys myself. I will be getting something. But it has to be hard for these kids to be away from their mother and Santa not coming. Please advise. We are located in Florida.

Thanks for everyones help

VIVTWINS

Asked by VIVTWINS at 9:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why don't you start visiting your local Thrift Stores. You'd be amazed at the things you can find. Last week I bought a Barbie Laptop in Mint condition for my daughter for $2.99. That's going to be one of her birthday gifts (and she asked for it). I saved $37. Good Luck.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Try talking with some service groups, they are usually looking for ways to donate. Also, try churches. They have a lot of giving tree type things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Don't foster parents get payed for being foster parents? I know some states do.I know that this is going to sound mean,But, When they decided to take in these foster kids they knew they would have to fork out some money to take care of them. I don't think they are a charity case.

Answer by louise2 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• lousie2, that was rude... most states do pay for folks to be foster parents, but funds are NOT readliy avaliable to the families... there is paper work that needs to be processed... to get things moving... just bc someone gets paid for caring for another doesn't mean that they couldn't use the extra help at times...
    As for the OP, check your local churches, salvation Army places... if they can not help they will give you some direction as to where to go to try and get it...
    Good Luck...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• louise2....unless you are a foster parent then you don't really have any right to speak up on the "pay" for taking in these children. The "payment" they receive is a mere pittance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

amen to that dont take off more than you can bite

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I would definitely contact Toys for Tots, Salvation army and see if there are any local charities they can get some extra help from. Foster care does give your sister something? I'm not trying to be rude, or blunt.. but they did know they were getting these kids, right?

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/socwork/nrcfcpp/downloads/foster-care-maintenance-payments.pdf

*shrug* 3 kids from foster care 1200 - 1500 a month from the state doesn't seem like "pittance" to me?  Looks like they get a 600 dollar clothing allowance, 50 dollars extra per child in Dec..  I have two kids and I don't plan on spending more then 100 each child - the 50 spend wisely should give them a solid platform.  If they get some clothing money they could also give some clothes as "gifts" :)

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Oops ! I misread on FL - they may not get extra for December or clothes, but my understanding is they may be vouchers or something in replacement for clothes/toys? If you're trying to do this to help your friend.. I would make sure she has taken advantage of everything thats in place for foster kids too.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Try the Salvation Army.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I do my shopping at www.graveyardmall.com they get new stuff almost daily so even if you don't see something today you might tomorrow. The stuff is SUPER cheap! There's games and toys and houshold stuff too... It's not great but it's better than nothing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2008