• In the Spotlight:

2 days ago my 10 month old had her first ride in the ambulance

For a temp. of 103.
She is still running a temp... she is on tylonal.. 3 hrs later.. motren.. so on and so on.. trying to keep her temp down.
They did say she had a upper res. infection, but didnt give her anything for it.
No shes throwing up, and we cant keep her calm..
Any suggestions?

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 9:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It won't matter if you go back and "demand something" - she has a viral infection and there are no medicines they can give her for a virus. An "upper respiratory infection" is a fancy way of saying a bad cold. Antibiotics will do NOTHING for this and may make her far more ill.

Keep her hydrated with pedialyte. Don't worry if she won't eat and doesn't want milk.
    Lukewarm baths and cold cloths on the body will help. Just don't let her get chilled.
    Keep using a humidifer in her room to help thin out any muck in her lungs and nose.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i would be going back to the Dr and DEMANDING something. but till then keep her cool, i put cool wet wash clothes on my kids. and push pedilyte. call your regular DR and set up an appointment ASAP
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• would like to add that the baby vicks rub is good. i put that on my kids back....helps them breath better and the smell actually clams my kids down....
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• johnsons has this soothie vapor rub, my daughter just loves it when she has a raspy feeling in the body.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 10:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I work with nurses and there was something that one nurse used that got a fever down. She put cold towels on the forehead, under the arms, behind the knees, behind the elbows, on the feet, and around the groin area. Concentrating in these areas brought down a temp of 105 fairly quickly over a period of an hour and a half. She learned it in nursing school. It is RSV season. So you may want to have a blood test done to see if it is a posiblity. It can be VERY dangerous to infants and toddlers. Usually only found in infants but it can happen with older infants when their immune system is down. Since she is vomiting, fever, and congestion - Go NOW ASAP to the doctor or back to the ER. Go to a different hospital if you need to.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I would have her rechecked to make you fell better. My son just got over a horrible upper respitory infection that lasted almost three weeks. It's a virus so antibotics won't help any.

darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 11:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If she has RSV they will not give you antibiotics, so don't expect that. Is she wheezing? iF she is they will give her breathing treatments. I think it is best to go back to the doctor today!!!
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i would run the shower super hot and stand in the bathroom in the steam it helped with my kids when they were sick the fever i would take lukewarm baths with them with me in the tub it made them feel better
    puppet24

Answer by puppet24 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Thanks guys. She has already had the RSV test when she went in with the ambulance.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2008