How can I get my baby to go to fall asleep on her own? DESPERATE FOR ADVICE/TIPS!!

Hello mommies! My daughter is 10 1/2 months old. I really want to get her to be able to fall asleep on her own but I don't know how. Right now she is always asleep in my arms before laying her in bed, and that sometimes involves rocking her to sleep. I know this needs to stop to avoid her not falling asleep on her own. The only time she has gone to sleep on her own is when (sometimes) wakes up during the night and sometimes she'll just go back to sleep. I have tried laying her down when she is tired but she always goes to stand up at the railing of her crib until she gets picked up. I would love any advice on how I can 'train' her to start falling asleep on her own!!

cj93082

Asked by cj93082 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would rock my daughter for a little while and lay her down. Try running a fan in her room for the noise. I have done this since my daughter was born she is now 3 and I still do this. Stay to the same routine this will help a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If you want to "train" her, the only real way to do it at this age is CIO. But, there is no real "need" to get her to fall asleep on her own, she will do that in her own time. They are only little this once, enjoy rocking her to sleep, she won't let you do it forever! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• She already is falling asleep on her own as you've noted. Just not consistently and that's fine. It's normal. She's making progress and you can't rush it any more than you can force her to grow faster.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The thing that works for me is to let my son cry. I love holding him to sleep, but there are times I'm so exausted and tired.
    The first time he cried for 15 min, it was hard to watch tho. I was about to go up there cause I can't see him cry for that long, but on my way upstairs he fell asleep! Ever since that time he's can fall asleep so much faster and easier. Normally he wakes up during the night and not able to go back to sleep on his own, now he just whine a little wave his hair in the air and rub his face then falls back to sleep. Sometimes he still cries when I put him down, but it only last about 1 min or 2 then he just suck on his thumb and falls asleep.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• CIO works for some families but it's not the only way. My oldest fought every thing BUT CIO. My youngest, on the other hand, would scream herself ill in seconds flat. Start by putting her down in the crib when she's drifting off but not out cold. If she starts to fuss, rub her gently - back/chest, arm/leg, whatever. You can sing or whisper softly. we used a musical soother on the crib and would turn it on when we laid DD down. When she's staying down and calm without needing you to sooth, start putting her down when she's groggy but not sleeping. Repeat the soothing from crib side process. When you get that down, put her down tired but awake. Develop a good bed time routine if you have not already. At almost-a year old, she's probably ok with some type of comfort item - a stuffed toy, a favorite blanket. Something she can use to self-soothe. It's a process and it can take a bit of patience, but it'll work.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011