Toddler throwing food on the floor

Your family sits down to dinner and your toddler decides after 2 bites its more fun to throw food on the floor rather than eat it. Obivously said toddler isnt hungry. The reason I am asking is we go through this one or two times a week with my 20 months old. Now I know you are supposed to look at food intake over the course of a week vs a day so I dont sweat her not eating dinner but I want to know what you do when your toddler does this? How often does your toddler do this?

Do you offer a snack later?

Do you try and feed them their dinner later?

Last night I gave her some sunflower seeds later (that she dumped) and a granola bar that she ate two bites of. But she did drink a big cup of milk before bed and woke up asking for milk at 5 am.

Suggestions. Thoughts. Comment away. What is typical in your house?

navyjen

Asked by navyjen at 11:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 15 months. If he doesn't like something or he is full, he's likely to toss it. We just take the plate from him and tell him not to throw food. It's very normal, most kids do it for at least a little while. I just pull the food back to where he can't reach it and continue our meal. If he wants another shot at it, I give it back to him and let him have more but if he starts throwing again, I just take it away. It's just a phase and I dont' really worry about it. The trick at our house is to keep the older kids from laughing when he does stuff like this.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Realized I didn't answer the other part. If he acts hungry later and it's still a while before the next meal, yes I'll give him a healthy snack. You'll know when your child is old enough to understand not wasting food and asking for more later, it's more of a preschool age thing when they are old enough to understand that.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Mine attempts this almost daily! LOL! I always take him by the hand and help him down from his chair and ask him to pick up his food. I show him what I mean and then squat down there with him while he picks it up. Then we put the plate back on the table, just out of his reach and he sits with us while we all finish dinner. If he's hungry later, we try to give him bites from his plate. He doesn't seem to eat enough to sustain him, but he continues to grow, so I try not to worry about it. I just continue to offer him healthy options and that way I know he's getting nutrients when he DOES eat, instead of empty calories.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My son went through this phase as well. I just picked the food up and politely told him that we don't throw food on the floor. It's just a phase and it will pass :o)

As for feeding at a later time, he eats dinner when we do. If he didn't eat, I would give him a snack later but I wouldn't cook up a whole meal for him. I thought he was going to starve but he goes through phases where he he will eat a lot and then not eat hardly anything.

Hang in there! This phase will pass :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 11:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my son throws his food on the floor too, unless hes really hungry and its a food he likes than he eats a lot than throws it on the floor, at least i know hes finished, and of course i constantly clean.
    He dosen't really snack a lot inbetween meals mostly cause were not home but when we are hes all about running to the fridge and gettting yogurt and cheese
    telina99

Answer by telina99 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011