My son holds food in his mouth...

During meals, mostly dinner, my son will take a bite of something and hold that bite of food in his mouth for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes even longer. I KNOW this is so bad for his teeth. I don't know why he does this, he doesn't do it all the time, but sometimes it seems like he does it only when he doesn't like something, he will hold that piece in his mouth forever! We have tried encouraging him to chew and swallow, giving him a drink to help wash it down, telling him how bad it is for his teeth, telling him how badly his tummy wants the food, etc. This is just getting SO old, and annoying. Dinner time at our house is usually the worst and takes forever. Does anyone else have this problem? What else can we try? Thanks!

Blakesmommy0907

Asked by Blakesmommy0907 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my oldest did this ALOT when she was 2. it was very irritating! she would only do it if she was full or if she didnt want to eat in the first place but it was mealtime anyway, her way of being stubborn. she grew out of it but even now at 4, lately, i have caught her doing it a few times at dinner. i explain to her that if she doesnt want to eat thats fine but i also let her understand that this is her last meal for the night and shes not getting anything else if she gets hungry later. if she doesnt like it thats one thing but if she does and is just being stubborn, thats a control battle that she will lose.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Dont know if this will work but when my 4 yr old wants to eat candy (or more candy...lol), I tell him that if he has too much he will get a boo boo on his teeth and that seems to do the trick. He knows that boo boo's else where hurt so he listens to that also. Maybe your son isn't grasping the concept when you tell him it "isn't good for him"...try telling him more on his level.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ~*Giggles*~ My three year old does this in protest, and I let him know he can spit it in the trash... usually his way of stating he doesn't like it
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• MommaClark3, I am NOT force feeding my son, he has the option to get down from the table at any time, once he swallows the food in his mouth.
    Blakesmommy0907

Comment by Blakesmommy0907 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I used to watch a little boy that did this every time I gave him anything. I told his mom that he does this and she said he does it all the time to her too. He just stopped doing it on his own.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my son has been doing that sence he was 1 now he is 3 but he sucks on his food sometimes for 20 mines and its not because he doesnt like it i think he is just so used to doing it but i havent figured out how to get him to stop yet iv tried pretty much everything u have tried and non of it has worked
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 12:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• When he does it,take his plate away andhave him get down from the table. Tell him when he finds his manners,he can return. Do NOT give him an alternative meal

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Children's taste buds are much better than ours... think of it like this, when a smoker stops smoking cigarettes, they always talk about how they can smell things better, and those things they thought were pleasant are now gross... children can taste much better, where we have dull buds the older we get, they taste everything... I couldn't imagine force feeding my kids.

I personally focus on vitamin content, and so forth they take in... there are bigger fights and is this one you wanna add to the list?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011