How do I get the twins to eat more mushed up meat?

The doctor swears they don't "taste" anything at 7 months, they only gag due to the texture of certain foods. Since meat (and other veggies like peas, beans, etc) are thicker than fruit, I have a super hard time getting them to eat them.  Not to mention it smells like dog food.  Will they grow up not liking it if we DON'T feed it to them?

Not sure that I believe they can't taste things either, but that's a different post.

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 11:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We didn't do mashed up meat. We waited until about 9 months and just gave her tiny pieces of whatever meat we were having with dinner. I'm of the mindset, that if I think it's too disgusting to eat, I'm not going to feed it to my baby and mashed up meat that smells like dog food is just nasty.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• At 7 months..I don't think meat is a real important part of nutrition at this age. If they don't like it, hold off on it for awhile. Try it again is a few months. If they are anything like my daughter was..she wouldnt eat any of it..I had to eventually just cut up our regular food that we ate for meals into really tiny pieces and she ate that way. But she really didnt care for meat too much until she was past the age of one...although I did always offer it to her. She still isnt a big meat eater.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Baby food meat is worse then dog food!!! U can give them mashed potatoes,baby food peaches,and other baby food fruits. the veggies smelled really bad. If they r that bad there is no way I'm giving it to my kids! No, they will not grow up not liking meat. There r alot of other foods they can eat just fine. Wait till they r older for the meat. Like about age 5.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• you can give it to them ground up in spaghetti sauce when they get older...my doctor told me i HAD to give her meat a couple times a week until she was 3 b/c of the amino acids..NOT protein. There are many ways to get protein and now they found that Quinoa has the same amino acids that meat has...my daughter is 2 1/2 and by HER choice does not like or eat meat...I've offered it to her but she doesn't like it...not much you can do :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't feed babies that young meat

Answer by admckenzie at 12:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I always mixed the meat with their other foods instead of just feeding it to them plain.  Yes, I agree, they CAN taste at that age and they don't like it, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I didn't feed any of my three meat until they were able to eat the meat I was eating. That baby meat is nasty! They all loved it from the beginning!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• What the point? ICk! I wouldn't eat it either. Offer REAL meat. Shredded chicken, slow-cooked beef and pork, fish, etc... Just put it on their tray and let them feed themselves. If they can chew it, they aren't ready for it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I never fed my kids baby food meat. It made ME gag. It's really gross. I just fed them fruits, veggies and cereal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• No one needs meat

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2011