In Vitro Fertilization .... walk me through it from the beginning?

I CANNOT quite believe I'm asking this .... but it's time.

My husband never had children and is now re-thinking his choice. We are considering the possibility of having a child, but because I had a tubal 20 years ago (which isn't reversible - I did request for it to be reversible, but the doctor who did it made his own decision I guess)

We (I) think that IVF is going to be our best bet. BUT..... we just started moving forward with this decision THIS WEEK -- so I have't seen my doctor yet to begin the discussion with him about it.

I'm wondering what ALL the doctor will check for, what procedures I might have to do to prepare my body for having a baby at 42 year old. Where will we begin, what process will we go through, how long (or how soon) will we be able to "Try"?

Also, what procedure/process might my husband go through. What can he expect during this process?

Truly how expensive is IVF - per try. (we expect 10 to 12 grand) -- what about costs in between IVF attempts??

Can someone give me the skinny all the way from "So you've decided to have a baby" all the way to "Congratulations, you're pregnant"?

(and I have to admit... having a 20 and 22 year old.... this does make me nervous to think of starting over at 41/42... but we love each other so much, we're financially able to do this, we've been together for 5 years -- so this is not a snap decision, we've talked about it for a long time) SOO I'm asking about being a mom after 40 in another section.....

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Wow. I'm sorry I can't be any help to you but I wish you happy fertilizing! Good luck!
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 12:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My sister did IVF. There is an excellent group on here for IVF, I suggest you join and ask them. They could give you ALOT of information.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank you nsrush! I will search them out
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• First, a doctor should make you feel comfortable, and if they don't go to a new one. The first visit will be a lot of questions. The RE will ask a lot and you'll ask a lot (I suggest writing down all your questions before hand). They will want a copy of your medical records. Either at that visit or one close to it, they will do blood work. If the RE believes that IVF is right for you (they take into account age, medical history, ect), then they will talk over which meds they think are right for you. Your husband may be asked to submit a sperm simple before hand so they can make sure he's good to go. Normally it's 2 to 3months after the first visit that the IVF takes place. You will be put under, and your eggs harvested. Then after 2 to 5 days you'll get a call to tell you how many embroys there are. Most doctors will not put back more than 2. As for cost, we spent almost $13,000 on the IVF & $3,000 on meds.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Thank you SouthernMama -- I actually have a wonderful doctor, he's been my doctor for 5 years and I couldn't imagine using anyone else for this... although we'll have to travel 7 hours to visit with him. The costs seem in line with what we were expecting. I believe I'm healthy enough for pregnancy (unless there's something I don't know). We've actually talked about the # implanted and already decided that 2 would be our limit. I have no desire to be Kate Gosselin. LOL
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2011