Moms over 40 years old..... advise me, please?

I'm 41, my husband is 42. I have two children from a previous marriage (ages 20 and 22).

My husband has decided that he would like to have a child (he has none)....

If you had a baby after 40, can you tell me about how you felt, physically? Were there challenges that you think may have been related strictly to your age?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had my last at 43, 10 years after my previous one. It was like starting all over again. I wanted to be able to enjoy my grandchildren, not raising my own at this age. It was hard for me. Everyone is different though . Good luck!!!
    Anonymous

• I was in the same situation, I had 2 prev children, ages 25 & 28. My husband had none. I got pregnant at 44 1/2 and I think it was pretty typical pregnancy. The only thing is you really need to take it easy, the pressure when standing is a little uncomfortable, but then again everyone is different. If you are in really good shape, at 41 you will have no problem. Start taking prenatal vitamins now, and try and eat foods with folic acid, don't rely on pills. Have a positive attitude and good luck! If you need any more info, just leave me a message. My little girl is now 4 :)

Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Im not 40 or anything but if you want to bring a child into this world go for it! Im sure it won't be easy but if thats what you and your hubby want go for it! goodluck
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had my first at 39 & I'm Pregnant again at 43! No big deal. But I was in good health all around, so I guess it depends on how healthy you are to start out with. I did an amnio at 16 weeks with my first to check for genetic abnormalities & this time I did a Chironic Villus Sampling (CVS) at 10 weeks. It's like an amnio but earlier. I think that you should go with what your heart tells you. I feel better now & i am in better shape then in my 30's. I Cannot imagine having Grandchildren in my 40's! Girl I am tooooo young for that! Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• I cannot imagine grandchildren either -- but with sons in their 20s it's always possible. LOL
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I also have 4 grandchildren! My son & his wife had triplets last May :) No big deal, it's just a name "grandma"
    Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Sorry, I am distracted...

Your 'husband has decided' ?
    And how do YOU feel?

;- /

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I feel fine. Thanks for asking.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Okay~ you worded the question like *he decides* [alone] when you two conceive.

I intend to TTC after 40 but haven't done it yet...
    ;-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well, please don't assume something that isn't there. He does decide -- that's his right in life, to decide IF he wants to be a father or not. Just as I decide if I want to have another child. But if you're that hung up on words..... by all means let me ease your mind...... We have decided that we want to try to have a baby because my husband is 42 and has no children and has denied himself the joy of loving and nurturing a baby because he had a bad childhood and has been afraid until now that he might not be a good daddy because of how his dad was with him. ( I think he has taken a very mature, respectful and responsible way of making his decision to be a father and I much prefer that he be sure than to ever wonder if he was 100% on board before we bring a baby into the world - since in our case there will be no accidental fertilization, it will be a conscious decision from beginning to end)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011