How long did you nurse your baby for?

I'm just curious...its been almost 5 months into nursing my youngest for me (yay)
and I'm wondering when other mommys stopped?
And if you stopped before the year mark..did you go to formula for the rest of the first year?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nursed my baby for 8 months...she drew blood 3 times and that was it for me...so instead of turning it into a negative experience, I pumped until she was 13 months old...I did supplement here and there with formula when I had to, but 90% of it was breastmilk :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If you stop before one year you MUST go to formula. Not doing so puts baby at a nutritional risk.

26 months here. He weaned himself. No fuss, no muss and no thinking about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We're still going at 18 months. I guess I'm sick and disgusting. Oh well.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "and I only stopped when I did because my doc put me on meds that were incompatible with bfing. "

Be aware that most meds are fine while nursing... but most docs don't know it. They go with the manufacturer info which is designed to prevent lawsuits, NOT to ensure safety. (My prenatals had instructions that they were NOT to be taken by pregnant women!)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I wanted to go at least a year but only went 3 months with my first and 7 with my 2nd.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I nursed my son until he was 14 months and he weaned himself. I am so glad it wasn't a fight for him, as I have heard other have had trouble getting their kids to stop nursing. My son just gradually drank more whole milk and nursed less.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I've been breastfeeding for 5 months and my ultimate goal is to have him self wean. :)
    SapphireMomma

Answer by SapphireMomma at 2:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I started to wean my son at 9 months and he was off the boob completely at 10 months. I would've gone longer, but I wanted to start looking for a job and I just felt like it was a good time to wean.
    He was already on formula sometimes (when he was babysat we'd leave formula in case the pumped milk ran out), so we just used formula for the two months until he turned one.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I nursed all of mine to a little past a year. I didn't want to go from breast to formula to milk, and pumping didn't quite work for me so I just stuck it out. My youngest turns one this week and I am counting down the days to be DONE nursing FOREVER!!! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I knew I had to return to work, so I started both nursing and introduced bottles the first week. That way they were used to both. I gave formula when I gave a bottle, but nursed them until they were 8-9 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011