Does anyone struggle with drinking to much soda? Or have good ideas how to get off?

I drink the 64OZ water a day 5-7 days a week I know I get all the weeks worth in, maybe just not all in the day if that makes sense... My trouble is I have drank coke since I was a toddler... now 42.. I did use to drink more then 1 12-20 a day.. I could get up to 6-8,, some days maybe 3? any ideaS oh teah is not something I like

raeann1968

Asked by raeann1968 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My husband is a terrible sodaholic. The easiest way for me to get him to drink water instead is to keep a pitcher filled with ice water and lots of sliced fruit or cucumbers.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Only way I know to do it is to simply not make it available. Are you looking for an alternative? Lemonade or seltzer water are possibilities.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• how about sweet tea instead? its not much better but it still has the caffeine/sugar you would crave just not as awful as soda. this could be your crutch while you wean off soda. you could try cold turkey but then you might have terrible caffeine headaches from the withdrawal. or, allow yourself one a day. just one. then maybe it will be easier for you to cut it out completely after a week or so of only having one a day.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I used to drink flavored water in place of the cokes, but I haven't for a long time and I'm drinking more sodas than I would like as well. Sometimes I think it would be easier just to not buy them, but I still crave them like crazy! I know that once I get used to drinking all water again it would be so easy, because everything tastes too strong for me once I'm used to drinking the water again. So I'm just going to force the water issue again and see if that helps me.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• 1:
    don't buy it and when your really craving it buy a can to get out of that crave. For the sizzy taste buy flavored water.....

It has the little fizz so it does satisfy the taste buds...

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I just went to diet pot. Sure it doesn't taste the exact same. But after about a month of having it you really don't care. I think the splenda pops taste most like the regular ones. They have done new studies on these new sweeteners and have found them to be safe. My husband and I are huge pop drinkers and he has been looking through his medical journals to get his information. (He's a Doctor so I trust his findings).
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't drink coffee so drank soft drinks every day all day long. I needed to get weight off a few yrs back. I realized I was drinking enough soda to fill up my daily calorie allotment! I had to wean myself off of them. It took a few months but it was worth it. I traded the soft drinks for green tea with honey or Splenda. Then I got off that as well. I only drink water now.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• OMG!!! I quit cold turkey years ago!! Doctors orders!!! Too much caffeine,my body could not handle it!!! My heart was beating so fast!!! I hope u go to the dentist regularly! Our teeth have 5 layers so if u look in the mirror and don't see any cavities,that does not mean u don't have any1
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have been there. I can't stand plain water either. I started putting a half pack of powerade or crystal light in my water. Just enough to give it a little flavor. I know they are great, but better than a lot of sodas.
    Anonymous

• The only soda I keep in the house now are those little tiny cans, that way when I do get hit with a craving I can have some. But the rule is only one of those a day, so I find that now I actually use them as a treat for my self. For water I just add a dash of lemon and keep it cold.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2011