What do you do with name suggestions?

I already have my daughters name picked out it will be Annora Lillianna Irene Amanda ( last name here) but my grandmother just passed and they are pressing me to name the baby after her. The kicker is the woman was a horrible person and even when I brought this up and mentioned a few things that happened during my childhood, my mother brought up others.. then asked me so why aren't you going to put her name in there.. UGH I don't want to offend my dad but no way am I naming my child Mable..

Punkslilncs

Asked by Punkslilncs at 12:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I always just thanked people for their thoughts and moved on.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I always just say things like "I'll think about it" or "I'll talk it over with my husband." You know, your basic non-commital answers that leave the vague impression that you might take the person's advice while in my head I know there is no way. Once the baby comes you name her and that's that, most people forget about everything else in their excitement, and if worse comes to worse just brush it off as there not being enough room on the birth certificate, or blame it on the meds after delivery. She's your baby, so you get to pick the name. If someone else wants to name a baby then they should have their own.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I was in the same position with each child. With one pregnancy my mom even ordered me to name my son after my dad....My MIL tried to guilt my husband into naming him after his dad.....I never caved....I just ignored everyone and named my children what I wanted to name them and allowed people to be mad if they so chose.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have had a similar experience with my first daughter and we named her what my HUSBAND and I chose. Everyone was a little pissed in the beginning but once they were holding the sweet little angel, the issue was completely forgotten!
    I am due with my second daughter next week and when people ask about her name we say we haven't picked one yet, but we have it narrowed down to a few. BUT WE DON'T SAY WHAT THEY ARE!! If they suggest something, we smile and tell them we'll put it on our list. But when she comes, we'll name her what we want and it will be too late! :)
    Good Luck!
    mamagood81

Answer by mamagood81 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yeah I say "Thanks for the suggestion, but we've already decided." Of course you can always do the "I'll think about it." , but that only causes them to keep asking about it and pressuring you. Make it clear that you have the name and are not taking any further suggestions.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011