Would this piss you off?

I am getting married in a month. My rehersal dinner will be the day before at around 3 pm. Then we will come back to my house for the dinner at about 5 till 7 or so. Well my mom just told me that her boyfriend's dd is in a elementary school play the same day at about 7 pm, meaning she would have to leave the rehersal dinner by about 5:30 (just after it starts) to get there on time. What pisses me off is that she wants me to move my REHERSAL DINNER for a school play or she will chose the school play. She knew my wedding was the day after and that I would have my rehersal dinner that day when she said she would go to that school play.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• yeah i'd be pissed, YOU are her dd she should be at your rehersal not a school play to a child that she's not a parent or a step parent to
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would just thank her for being there for the part that she could and not let it concern me. Afterall, it isn't the child's fault that your mother wasn't foreward thinking enough. Would you begrudge the little girl her audience? I know it's tough because it's your wedding and all, but how much will you be hanging out with your mom at a rehearsal dinner anyway?
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I guess I would be a little upset, but I would understand. A child wouldn't be able to understand that a play she's worked hard on is 'less important' than your rehearsal dinner.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• She better be there u r her dd. Let the boyfriend go to his dd play,your mom needs to be there for u!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I kind of agree with her. She has to go to the school play. She can't change that. the only way she can go to both is to move the rehearsal dinner. Otherwise she can't be there!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• lots of parents do this sort of thing when they start to date. Hate to tell you this, but you may need to get used to taking the back seat.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ok..thanks for the vote down....lol i'm such a mama's baby it would irk me that she chose to be at a school play of a child that isn't even hers SUE ME
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Compromise.........

I would be pissed.
    Have the dad take her earlier if that is what he needs too do, then Why can't your mom do both, just leave a 1/2 of an hour earlier, by then everything should be done.

Dinner-mom stays until 6:30 what is a half hour anyway.....
    Play 7 pm, mom leaves at 6:30 and hopfully makes it there on time, if you need her afterwards then she returns.

It is one day and both of you can be happy.... Don't let this ruin it find a way. Congratulations....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• misses nick, this child will have a crowd on her own, she has her own mother and grandmparents and her dad comming. I would understand if she was like 6 or something but she is 12, that is old enough to understand that a rehersal dinner is more important then a school play.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• but also, you are talking about a small child. sometimes it can be hard to figure out the right thing to do to please everyone. You mom may not have known about this play until after you dinner was scheduled. My school was like that, they'd set the date for a concert then wonder why so many had a conflict.
    In my case, I was in a community play that had a performance the same night my teacher scheduled a orchestra concert.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2011