Why will a regular pregnancy test show negative 2 days before your period and then positive after you are one day late?

I was just wondering how one day your test can be totally negative then the next positive? I know it has to do with hcg levels, but how are you technically prego and it not show up until you are late? I really think this month that I am prego but this morning the test was negative, but I am only on day 26 so it may just be too early. I have had 5 m/c and I feel like I did when I was prego. I don't like to spend the money on the early test, just to get disappointed. The ones at the Dollar Tree are the same as what they use at the dr office so I buy those. It seems that my hormones are up, is it a different hormone besides the hcg that gives you the symptoms before the test shows positive? I hate the waiting and hope that I am prego, but worry about losing another one. I don't have any living children so every time I get prego it's very scary.

lilheat23

Asked by lilheat23 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• It really is just a matter of individuality and your hormone levels, combined with what time of day you are testing (first morning urination is the best - higher concentration of hormones).
    There ARE women who test positive before they are late, unfortunately it just does not sound like you are one of them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I used a Dollar store pregnancy test this cycle five days before I was suppose to get my period and got a positive. So I believe that are just as good. For the brand that I took the research I did said that it could detect HCG at a level of 20, I went for a blood test that same day and my HCG level was 22. HCG doesn't start to be produced until implantation takes place which can vary any where(I think) between 6 to 12 days after fertilization. Therefore, that is why it may take some woman longer to get a positive. It depends on when implantation took place.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• its all in your hormone levels. they go up big time in the first few weeks of pregnancy. one day they are just barely there and the next they have shot up two times the amount.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Its so possible.
    it happend to me seriously

There was somthing wrong with the first test i swear,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• in early pregnancy, your hcg levels double (if not triple) daily. so if a test needs a 20 (taken from slick05's answer- i don't know the real numbers), you could have a level of 17 one day and get a negative, but the next day your level would be 34 or more, so you'd get a positive. that's why they say to wait a week after a neg test to re-test, by then your hormones would be up enough, if you really are preggers.

=) good luck! =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 12:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I don't have an answer but Im living that very same situation right now.. Its frustrating not knowing.
    Kristin_m83

Answer by Kristin_m83 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• The same way you can be healthy one day and sick as a dog the next - it takes a while for the hormone (or virus in the case of a cold) to build up in your system. It's not like a switch is flipped and your body is instantly flooded with the hormone. It takes a couple of days. And remember, a few rare women never build up enough of the hormone to show a positive test at all! They are still pregnant, still have healthy babies, but test negative all the way through.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• When I was pregnant with my son I tested 2 days before AF was due and it was a BFN so I said I would wait til I was 2 days late and I did and it was a very clear BFP!
    MomtoConner

Answer by MomtoConner at 5:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i'll expand on pugmama's answer and say that home (and some labs) tests have a min and max "setting" such as, if the minimum level for "pregnant" is 20, for example, it won't show up until it hits the 20. it also will stop registering after a certain point b/c after mid-2nd trimester, you stop shedding hcg in your urine. HPT max line is set same way...above a certain level, it just can't register the amount so it automatically says 'negative'. as for certain days...it depends on how quickly your body multiplies the hcg hormone (which is approximately double every 24 hours for a singleton). if you think you are pregnant, the best trick is to wait until you actually miss AF by a few days to a week. otherwise you can/will get false BFN.
    Katness

Answer by Katness at 2:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2008