Fellow atheists, what would you recommend?

My husband and I went out to breakfast this morning, and our waitress wrote "God Bless You!" at the top of our check. I was a little put off by it, not really offended per say, but it did bother me. I was wanting some way to respond, with out being totally rude, but to show that it wasn't appreciated. I ended up writing "May you be touched by a great noodly appendage! FSM" and drew a little picture of the Flying Spaghetti Monster on my credit card slip.

When people throw their religion at me in public places like that, I want some way to respond that says, "Hey, I'm an Atheist, stop assuming everyone is religious like you!" I don't want to be confrontational, or rude, but we don't really have a 'catch phrase' like God Bless You.

So what are some other things I could say in that type of situation? What would you have written?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 12:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• She should NOT have written it--prosleytizing in the workplace is illegal, for one thing. I would have just taken a pen and scratched out the offending words. No need to say anything about your own personal beliefs (although I liked your solution. I would probably have used the IPU instead of the FSM). If she kept doing it, I would speak with her supervisor. You can bet that if she had written a wiccan blessing across the check some christian would have been ranting to her boss so fast her head wouldn't have had time to stop spinning! As I learned from the civil rights protests of the 60's, you need to fight even the small things. If you don't, they'll just get bigger and bigger until they're too big to beat down.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I usually just appreciate people's kindness and try not to assume that just because people practice a different culture then myself that they are trying to push things on me. She didn't intend you any harm, so if I were you I would stop trying to find something to fight about with people who are just trying to wish you good fortune.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The way I respond is dictated by the circumstances.  

I think you did a brilliant job!  bow down

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Okay, that was a nice grade-school comeback! Really?... No, you shouldn't have been offended and just be a bigger person and
    ingore it. If you want to say something, don't write it, be mature and say something....nothing would be preferred. Atheists or not,
    there's a time and place for your cute comment but I wouldn't of said anything. Besides, aside for being a customer, being a
    waitress and dealing with people all day, give her a break and let it go! Does everyone and everything have to be polically correct?...

Have a nice day and God Bless you!!!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It's funny how alot of people here see the watitress as just "being polite in her own way" yet your response was inappropriate? You were being polite as well. You DIDN'T write fuck you....or fuck off you christian nut job. You responded in your own polite way.
    I dont understand this hypocrisy!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't know what I would have said, but your post made me laugh. :)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Unless she knows you're an Atheist I don't get why you're upset about it. I'm an Atheist and wouldn't have thought anything about it.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Why do you want to let them know you're Atheist? I really don't get it.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• God bless you? Oh I'm sorry I didn't sneeze. I like the way you handled it. He and His noodly appendages would have been somewhat proud. Provided He hadn't spent too much time at the volcano. RAmen sister.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm not Atheist, but:

Atheist Money Rubber Stamp M-AtheistMoney2.gif This self-inking rubber stamp produces a black text block 1/4-inch (0.3cm) in height.... $17.50 [Order]
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011