is it true?

When someone says things to your baby, that they will live up to it? Like for instance someone telling you baby (who is being perfectly fine) that they are a mess. WTF?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its true if you repeat it to your child day after day (reinforcement is key!). to the point where they don't know any better and think that this is how they are supposed to be.

If someone was saying something to my child that I found to be unacceptable, believe me I would be in their face in a second. Ask my FIL. He found out last night. lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• How is saying they are a mess bad. What was the tone of voice they used? I think there are much worse things people can say. I think you are porbably overreacting. Try not to sweat the small stuff!
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I dont understand!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It depends on the tone, the age of the chid, and how often you repeat it.
    If someone picks up a baby who's face is covered in applesauce and says in a silly voice "Oh, you are such a messy, messy baby. Who's a messy, messy baby?" - that's fine.
    If someone constantly tells a baby "You are such a pain!" in an angry voice and keeps it up for years, the child will suffer.
    So, if someone constantly tells a baby "You are super smart" in a happy voice - will the child grow up super smart? No. But he may think he is a little smarter than average.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2008