Do your kids take care of there things?

My kids have way too much, from this one and that one and oh yeah me too.

So I am getting rid of a bunch of games, toys and clothes starting tonight.

When we get our house like clean house then I will give them a chance or two but if they don't keep there room tidy. What ever is on the floor by the end of the night, is going bye bye, my kids are 7/8/12/15 and enough is enough.....

They don't respect there things, and I did try to teach them that a long time ago, but it still didn't sink in because mom was a push over-yeah that was me. My bad, but getting back on track.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• My children do mostly take care of their things now, but it isn't as if they come by this without a good example and good teaching. First, I take care of my things and I take good care of our home. I encourage and enlist the rest of the family to help me out with that. From about age 2 I begin. I have a bin that I keep in the laundry room where I put confiscated, neglected items for the children to earn back by doing extra chores. That bin is usually empty now that my daughters are 6 and 8, but my son is 2 now, so it will soon start to be full again at times.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I'm having a similiar issue with my 10 year old. After giving him plenty of fair warning of what was going to happen if he didnt clean his room and take of his things...he chose NOT to do anything but give me an attitude. So, last night with him running behind me I had a roll of garbage bags and went into his room. I bagged up 2 garbage bag full of stuff on his floor..he was screaming as if I were beating him!!! And those 2 bags didnt even make a dent in his room from the crap that he has. He has been cleaning it ever since (he's home from school today)...just so he can earn the things that I took back and so I wouldnt take anymore.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My son is 3 and he does pretty well. But he knows I'll take a toy/book/whatever away if I see him doing something he shouldn't.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My room is clean, I don't keep clutter, and my living room and kitchen are clean....

So why don't they follow my example, because i was not consistant and they have too much for there rooms.....

Working on that though...
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my house is very small and so it looks like there is alot but that is because my son's room is to small for his toys so they are in the living room...he knows he has to pick up at home like he has to at school. my other daughters are older and they do take care of what they have. It is really hard to be clutter free and organized in a tiny place
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My son knows that if he doesn't pick up his toys, I will, and if I do it he doesn't see them for at least a week.

He also knows that any broken toys get thrown away and will not be replaced.

He does fairly well with picking up after himself.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 1:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• we make our boys pick up their toys in the evening before going to bed and they have to make sure they are put away neatly. If not then they don't get to play with those toys the next day
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2011