When shopping with a 7,8,9, yr. old, ??

Do you wish you could always have them listen, or is it getting them an education while shopping? Many moms are not able to leave them home, and it's frustrating to have to shop.

I hope that kids are better this spring, when things get ''weather normal'' again.
We have our hands full when they want to buy every little thing.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 1:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Shopping

• I would explain before had that they are NOT getting anything and they are not to ask for anything or they will have a time out at home. You could also say if you behave mom or dad will spend X amount of time alone with you doing what you want to do at home. Worked for my twins
    raeann1968

Answer by raeann1968 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I tell them before we go anywhere if we are/are not getting anything for them and the type of behavior I expect. If they act up, then they get grounded. I rarely have a problem with them.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I shop all the time with my 8 year old and 5 year old. We normally have a list, and they just help me find the things on that list. It's never been an issue.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I let them know ahead of time and rarely have issues. I also try to engage them especially when grocery shopping. GD is almost 8 and she can help choose produce better than DH. My GS thinks it is big news (He's 6) to be the 'official paper ailse helper" It is much easier to get them busy & teach them something in the meantime than to try to keep bored kids from grumbling. Oh and they have both become eagles eyes for in store coupons..lol. If I'm not grocery shopping I use the same strategy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I remember those days and always set up the rules before going into the store and told the kids to be good and I will will be nice..be wild and I will be very upset. I would also give them coupons or tell each one to grab something, doing that always makes the trip faster.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I can shop when they are in school. But if they do go with me I have them help with my list, play the alaphbet game and find the letters, I pick a color and they have to find, Just anything to keep them busy and them seem to do fine. Make it a game.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• OMG you are scaring me. I thought it would get better when they get older!! My daughter is 3 and I sometimes say I cant wait until she is at least 6 or 7 so that she can listen when we go shopping!!
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Let them know before you leave. You can also teach them as you shop. Like point out sale items and ask them which on is a better deal. This will be good so they can learn how to budget money.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2011