Why?

Why is my child so stubborn? We as her parents can be at times but she can amaze you with a look like "are you really talking to me". I repeat myself a million times and she takes off running from her dad when he says something. How can I break this habit or at least calm it down a little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At this age this is what we call normal. So be happy. She's asserting her independence right now. So when you want her to pay attention to you, get on her level. This may mean saying something in a silly voice to give a direction, walking very funny to get her to follow you, ect...
    It also means sometimes picking her up, looking her straight in the eyes, and calmly telling her what she needs to hear. We have to pick and choose our battles. It is is not important then let it go. If you need her to listen and it is not an option for her - then you have the ability to make it happen. My son can be stubborn. For example, he throws his cup on the floor at dinner. I get him down and tell him to please pick up the cup and keep it on his tray. He says no. I put him in time out. Then I bring him back to pick up the cup. He doesn't. In time out again. Then he gets it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:27 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Give me a call if you figure it out! My two year old is the exact same way!
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2008