Do 8 month old normally refuse food besides formula and puffs once they become mobile?

My 8 month old doesn't want to really eat more than a couple bites of oatmeal or fruit/veggie. She used to eat two good sized meals a day plus 24+ ounces of formula. She then got sick and became really good at getting around.. crawling, cruising furniture, etc. Ever since then she has not been as good of an eater. I tried to get her to three meals a day and that was a flop. I can give her a bottle then wait 1.5 hours and offer cereal and she wont eat more than a couple bites. I have tried offering her what we are eating but she does not want it. Right now we are trying breakfast and dinner, so going back to 2 meals a day but it really doesn't look promising. I just wonder if the fact that she is mobile now is the reason, like she is more focused on that then wanting to eat food. She takes a bottle fine. I just kinda want to hear this is normal and she will eat eventually good meals again. sometime soon hopefully. Her doctor wanted me to work with her so that by her 9 month appt she would be on 3 meals a day.. this was what we discussed at her 6 month appt.. any thoughts, advice would be appreciated..

BeckieLea

Asked by BeckieLea at 1:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my opinion...its normal. As long as shes not losing weight from it...she's fine. When she is hungry, she will eat.Its good if shes' still eating all the formula...I believe its to be 24 ounces in a 24 hour period is needed to grow.At least thats what I remember my daughters doctor telling me when she was that age. She was...and still IS a very picky eater,lol.
    I wouldnt worry too much about it.Just keep at it..and she will get the hang of it and be more interested in eating.
    Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Her doctor told me 24-30 ounces but at this point she is taking in well over 30.. around 30-45 ounces daily.. I just wish she would not have gotten sick because I dont think we would have this problem..
    BeckieLea

Comment by BeckieLea (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would say her being mobile would def have something to do with it...it is weird that she will always take the bottle and is drinking more to(probably) compensate for not eating food. Have you tried a variety of different foods? Veggies and fruits? Maybe try rice cereal? But overall, if she is not losing weight I'd say she will be fine and will come back to eat eventually. Good luck and try not to worry! :)
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If she's drinking 45 oz of formula then she probably just isn't hungry! All babies are different but my 7 month old only drinks 24 oz/day. If you dr said 24-30, I would call him and see if her drinking that much is okay, but I wouldn't worry about more food - sounds like she's getting enough calories.

Answer by missanc at 3:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• She is only drinking that much now because she isn't eating her baby food anymore..

I am trying to offer her different foods but she really doesn't have any interest...

Hopefully she gets over this and wants to eat again.. but until then I will keep offering!
    BeckieLea

Comment by BeckieLea (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2011