Does anyone else think this is total BS? (A little long)

My local community college also offers classes from other colleges in the state (like 2 or 3 of them), for certain programs (business, accounting, nursing, counseling, etc.). BUT the ONLY way that one can get a BSN through ANY of the colleges anywhere near me is by becoming an RN FIRST (which takes 2 full years, including summer classes) and THEN transferring to ONE of those colleges for an RN to BSN (which is ANOTHER 2 years, and this isn't including general studies classes!).

The nearest college that offers a BSN WITHOUT being an RN first is over 2 hours away and you can't do that online, so I would have to move. I am so irked right now it isn't funny. When I signed up for classes, I was told that I could get my BSN without leaving this area, and without becoming an RN, but apparently not.

Now IDK what I'm going to do because I really don't want to have to move 2 hours away and leave DH and DD until I finish my degree (DH has a steady job that we can't afford to have him leave).

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in

• BSN programs if do not have a bachelors degree already is normally 4 yrs. In that time you have enough education at the 2 yr mark to stop and get your RN if you desire. So must do not outright make you get your RN but at about 2 yrs you have enough education for your RN. So going to a community college and then do an RN-BSN bridge is not that bad. Why do you not want the RN degree? with that you are able to work as an RN while you do the bridge and the bridge can usually be done online because you do most of your clinicals are the RN level and the BSN level is more theory.

..Now if you have your bachelors degree and want to do a BSN program (which I do have considered the bsn) there is an accelerated BSN program that some schools offer but you must have bachelors from another field. With that you are able to get your BSN in a little as year and they use your bachelors to fuflill pre-req and gen. ed.

KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Are there ANY colleges in your state that offer it online? Be sure to check them out for crediting and business pros/cons first. My daughter did her Nutrition course online when our college wouldn't without prerequisits and other classes that she didn't need. You might also check out-of-state colleges that have the same requirements as your state. Then all you have to do is take the state test where you live.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I've been going through every website of every college in my state all week and so far I haven't had any luck. I've gone through about 3/4 of them so far. I'm also going to check the next nearest CC (which is about an hour away, maybe more) and see if they offer BSN from some college, so I may end up transferring there this summer. I'm just worried about the out of state ones because I can't afford to pay for classes IN my state (I had to get financial aid) and from what I've heard, many out of state colleges might offer aid, but a lot of people still had to pay quite a bit even after that (because out of state tuition is so high).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• A BSN is a bachelors (of science) degree in Nursing... it's a 4 year program no matter where you go. A bachelors degree is 4 years no matter what it's in. I've never heard of a school that lets you split it up like that... most people I know have gone to a 4 yr college and graduated with a bachelors degree in Nursing (BSN) which make them eligible to sit for the state boards to become and RN - AKA an RN with a BSN ;o) Nursing is a very hands on program filled with lots of clinical assignments. You may ba able to do your clinicals close to home though. Good luck!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I KNOW that a BSN is a 4 year program, but at our CC, you have to also have general studies classes PLUS the classes for the RN program (which is about 3 years, then the bridge program to BSN which is 2 more years). I have no problem with taking classes for 4 years, I expected that. What I did NOT expect was that I would have to become an RN before I could even consider a BSN.

Why do you not want the RN degree?
    Because I do not want to be a nurse. I'm only going to be going through the nursing program to get my MSN to become a midwife.
    I was told that I had to finish my general studies crap and then apply for the RN program when I spoke with someone about this the other day. What makes it even better is that we're already past the deadline for the RN program THIS year, so I have to wait 11 more months before I can apply for that, and then another 8 months after that I'll be able to start it.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Basically, because of how screwed up our CC is, I will be in school for 6 years just to get my BSN, then another few years for my MSN. I regret going back to college now because this is the THIRD time I've been screwed over by them just in the past 6 months (and I'm not alone, I was talking to a few other people the other day and they've had tons of issues from our CC as well).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "What I did NOT expect was that I would have to become an RN before I could even consider a BSN."
    That's b/c you are not starting in the BSN program.... if you applied directly in to the BSN program as an undergrad you'd get them both simultaneously... does that make sense?

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my understanding is you can do a few things...
    1.) go thru a nursing program, become an RN (with basically an associates degree) then transfer to a 4 yr school for at least 2 more years to get your BSN.
    2.) go directly into a 4 year BSN degree program - then you graduate with the BSN/RN

Then, once you are an RN/BSN you can go on to take a Certified Nurse Midwife course and/or an MSN if your state requires the MSN for a for licensure. A nurse midwife candidate is usually required to have a license to practice as a registered nurse and at least 1 or 2 years of nursing experience ( http://www.ehow.com/about_4707440_requirements-become-nurse-midwife.html )

Does any of that help... or I'm I jst not getting it?? LOL

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I understand all of that, but the way things were explained to me when I enrolled was that I would get my general studies classes (which are required for pretty much every thing except certificate programs, like welding), then be able to transfer to one of the other colleges our CC offers classes from (which are 4+ year schools) and enter the BSN program. At the time of enrollment, there was never anything said about having to do the general studies then go into the RN program (I only actually need like 4 classes before entering the RN program, which were English 111-112, a basic chem class, and something else that I'm forgetting). I know that there are usually several ways to get your BSN (RN to BSN, straight forward BSN, bridge from another degree to BSN, etc.), but this specific issue was never mentioned to me when I enrolled in classes, it just came up when I was looking to transfer to a new college this fall.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• But, DH and I have been talking about it and since I will have to move to get my MSN anyway, we're probably going to move to KY within the next 18 months or so, so that I can finish the BSN and then transfer to Frontier to get my MSN. Either that or we'll be moving to TN, which is what I'm hoping for because that's where I want to live and work anyway.

Basically the whole point of why I think this is BS is because my CC sucks and no one there seems to know what they're talking about with anything. For example, it was the head of admissions who told me all the BS about being able to transfer. I just recently learned all of this by going to the OTHER school's website because you can't find the info on our CC website anywhere, and no one on campus knew anything about it, either (including the transfer counselors).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011