Would You? Opinion Needed

Would you let a childcare provider care for your little one if she had a huge pitbull. I interviewed this lady and shes great with great refs and all but she has a huge Pit. He looks very scary but the woman introduced us to him and I was surprised he was very gentle. My thing is I've heard so many violent stories about Pits, should I move on? Oh she says the dog is never in house when children are over but it's getting cold now and he's a house dog. Please Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have every right to be concerned about the breed of the dog. Yes they have a tendency of being violent animals,but honestly it is all in the way they are raised and trained. I have owned pits before and none have ever been violent towards myself or children. Not knowing the dogs also makes everyone a little concerned about leaving the children with someone who has an animal like that. If you don't trust the dog, then I think you should move on, but if you trust it and you think the lady is qualified for the job then give it a chance. Make surprise visits to make sure the dog is outside at all times when your child is there.
    joni574

Answer by joni574 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Do you know what the 3rd most likely dog to bite is? a POODLE. You must blame the deed, not the breed. I have had pitbulls, I have rescued Pit Bulls, my family and friends have Pits and I have never met even one that is aggressive. A standard poodle, a lab, and cocker spaniel even, can do just as much damage. I would be more worried about the woman than the dog. I think if you like this woman and her home and practices regarding children then enroll your child.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i have a poodle and he never bit before.. no one so i think you are wrong about poodles!!!!get some info..... if i was in your feets i wouldnt take my son over there.. sorry but that what i think..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Have you asked her to have the dog contained? Or would that even ease your thoughts?
    Anonymous

• I have a pit bull and he is a gentle inside dog BUT I never leave my daughter alone with him and I keep a close watchful eye on him when he is around her. Most of the time I keep him in the garage but you really dont know how this lady is and if she is actually gonna keep this dog out of the house when your child is there? So no I would not allow this woman to care for my child unless I was absolutley sure that the dog would be outside or in the garage while my child is there bc any animal can snap even the smallest pet.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• NOOOO
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Ah..no. That kind of seems obvious. But then that's just me. Or she can care for him in your home without the dog. Yeah, they are friendly, until they bite his face off.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Like the first poster said, all animals have the capacitiy to be very aggressive and mean. However, that also means that all animals have the capacitiy to be gentle and loving. my neighbors have a bulldog who is the sweetest thing. How a dog behavies depends on the owner and how the treat and train the animal. If you have a concern about the dog, let the lady know. She may be open to keeping the animal in another area while the child is there. Or maybe you can spend some more time watching the child and dog together to see how they interact. If the lady has good references then the dog is probably used to being around other children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• OH GOOD FREAKING GOD. You people that say "No. Keep your child away" and all of that other shit are totally uneducated when it comes to pitbulls and any other large breed dog.

ALL dogs have the ability to bite. EVERY dog has teeth. Dogs act the way they're raised. If they're raised to be gentle animals and they're not neglected and they're treated right, that's how they'll act. If they're shown any sort of violence or abuse or neglect, they could act out.

I'm so sick and tired of all of the closed minded idiots in this world. People need to educate themselves on a topic before saying shit about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• There probably won't be any problems. But would I leave my child there? NO. And no, I am not a closed minded idiot. I was curious about this issue and did my own research. And no, I did not get any data from groups that support or condemn pit bulls. Any info provided by such groups will be tainted.

The previous posters are right - all dogs have the ability to bite.
    HOWEVER, if you are bit by a terrier or a lab, you probably only get a dog bite. If you are bite by any of the breeds sized and bred to attack humans or other dogs, you may very well end up badly injured, maimed, or killed. And yes, go ahead and do the research.
    -cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008