IS it common for teachers to still play favorites in middle school?

At my daughter's middle school (7th and 8th grade only) there seems to be a tremendous amount of favoritism. The same kids always get solos in the concerts, even though they are not the best the same kids get the leads in plays etc. I don't remember it being that way when I was in school. The kids who were best got the solo or the lead part. Is it this way at your child's school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Pretty much. I started my dd is cheerleading for instance and she is 6 and in kindergarten because I know that when she gets to middle school if she has not been involved in after school sports like softball, cheer etc she wont get picked for the cheer squad. It stinks to have to play politics basically with your childs life and the future you dont even know theyll want, but its how it is where I live. If you want your kid to be recognized for anything and known for anything (be it sports, band, etc) you have to start in Kinder around here and travel with the same set of parents.

Answer by gemgem at 1:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Teachers continue to play favorites well past middle school....in high school, college, and grad school, teachers will always have their favorite students, towards whom they feel more of a connection or likeness. This is natural.

That said, I don't know your situation. But I imagine there must be some reason why certain kids get the lead roles in plays or solos in concerts. Maybe the teacher (having greater experience) does believe them to be more talented. Maybe the teacher thinks these kids have greater work ethic for the role, or that it will build their confidence. Talent is part of it, but it also has to do with the amount of effort kids are willing to put into it.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 8:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Teachers play favorites in college. So, favorites in middle school is not a surprise.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes. And it continues at the high school level, particularly when it comes to competitive sports. The eligibility rules are often ignored so the best athletes can still play.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Do you know with out a doubt, 100% HOW the soloists are picked? Probably not. We had one middle school girl that was always getting a choir solo, it wasn't because she was best, it was because she was one of the only one girls that TRIED OUT!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes at our school favoritism is rampant. And I know how the school works because I work there. It starts in preschool and continues on forever.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• at my neices school, favoritism is big.
    sunshinehippie

Answer by sunshinehippie at 12:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2011