I have a 4 year old daughter (okay so she will be 4 in two weeks) who is complety potty trained during the day but not at night. She wears pullups at night since she isnt night time trained. How Can I get her bedtime trained? Do I get up every 3 hours and put her on the potty? Do I get rid of the pullups and do undies for bedtime?

kristie0319

Asked by kristie0319 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son was the same way at her age so what i did was not give him anthing to drink 2hours befor bed and made him go potty befor we wnt to bed. I ditched the pull ups so that when he did wet the bed he felt it cuz it was wet where if he peed in his pull up it got abosbed. It took about two weeks befor we had no accidents. yes its lots of washing of the sheets and bed changes at night and even after she stops wetting the bed chance are you will have accidents here and there.there bladders are little.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I've heard to limit bedtime drinks and to take her to the potty when you go to bed. There are electric pads that sense wetness. But I think it just depends on the child and she'll be night-trained when her body is ready. Check with her pediatrician.

Answer by Bmat at 10:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• She may just have a small bladder. IN that case there really isn't a thing you can do. My son is 10 and he Pt'd at 13 months. He still occasiaonlly wets the bed and there isn't a thing I can do about it, I refuse to medicate him. My 5 year old wets the bed more often than not(also a boy). For us, this is a boy thing. My girls haven't wet the bed since they were 2.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Have you had her checked by a doctor to rule out any medical reasons for her night time wetting? I ask because I wet the bed 'till I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I was put in the hospital for a couple of weeks for testing and they found that my urethra was too short which was causing me to dribble a bit during the day and wet the bed at night. Anyway, I had a simple surgical procedure done and from then on, I never wet the bed or had any accidents again. Might be worth looking into.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Some kids are just bedwetters for a while. It's quite common up to about age 7/8.
    Other kids are heavy sleepers and don't get the message that they need to go potty.
    Some kids have weak bladders.

The first thing to do is limit drinks two hours prior to bedtime. Secondly, wake her up and take her to the potty when you go to bed.

Another thing you can try, to strengthen her bladder, is make sure she is drinking plenty of water during the day and try to have her hold it for a while. This will help build strength in her bladder for holding urine over night. This may not work for her. This may not be your problem, but it is possible.

If you are really concerned, you can consult your doctor. But her age, I wouldn't be overly worried just yet.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I forgot to add that she goes to bed at 8pm so I limit the liquid intake by 6/630pm and she does go pee before she goes to bed...
    kristie0319

Answer by kristie0319 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008