Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Stopping a divorce

We were going to get a divorce, but now we are working things out and have been for over 2 months things are great but our lawyers dont want to drop it everyone keeps saying its b/c they want more money so my Question is what will happen if we dont go to the court hearing.. because me and my husband have both called and told them we wanted it stopped,and they post poned it... and we both dont have the money to pay any more and we dont want to go to court we dont have any time off work...



they already postponed it for 90 days, but we still cant take no days off work, we dont feel like we need to go back and have told both of our lawyers, we dont see why they want us to go back for i know people that have dropped everything and never had to go back to court!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • If you hired a lawyer and they have completed all the paperwork you dont need to be there to get a divorce. The judge will listen to your lawyers and simply sign off on it as non contested. You probably need to go to court and tell the judge you would like to postpone your court date because you are trying to reconcile. Ask for a court date 90 to 120 days out.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • Send a Certified letter to both Attorneys stating that you want the proceedings stopped as per your conversation with them on (1/15/11). Get a Return receipt. (Save copies of the letters for yourself.) Then, if they don't stop the proceedings, you have legal grounds to sue them.

    Answer by Kimimale at 1:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • That's ridiculous! The lawyers arent in charge of your life or marriage. If you want to stop the divorce, then stop it. And good for you for working things out! I hope you continue to grow strong as a loving couple. As for the hearing- attorneys charge for their time, including attending the hearings. (+ travel time) Call your domestic court to ask what you need to do to have it dismissed. Maybe you can draw up your own Motion to Dismiss & have you & your husb sign it. Whatever you do, dont purposely miss the hearing. That may be your only time to tell he Judge how you feel. Again- best of luck to you both! :)

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • we cant go to the hearing on that day we both have missed so much work and if we miss that day we are both going to get fired, because our lawyers have made us so many court dates its not funny.. we just want it stopped so we dont have to go back i dont understand... will we get in trouble for not showing up to the hearing??? we live in ohio.. i know sometimes when you miss court you get a warrent for your arrest but i doubt its for anything like a divorce hearing!!!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • I am thinking you are asking because now you do not want to get the divorce correct? If so I would call the courthouse and aske what to do in this situation. I would think you should be able to file a petition to withdrawl the divorce filing. If the lawyers are pushing forward just to get your money that is just wrong. It can't hurt to check with the courts.

    Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 1:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • i called the court house and they said we hired lawyers we need to go threw them... they dont like people calling in and asking to do things when they have lawyers got real nasty with me....

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • Am I correct that you do not want to go thru with the divorce? If so draft a document or petition the court to stop the divorce proceedings and foward copies to your attorneys and the courthouse. Once the petition has been received call the courthouse and ask if you still have to show for the hearing. For a personal matter such as divorce they cannot issue a warrant for your arrest as it is a civil matter not a criminal matter. They should not be rude to you when you call, although they cannot give legal advice at the courthouse that maybe why they stated to go thru the lawyers. If nothing else, go online look up your state and then look up info about the legal system, filings, divorce, etc. Something should be on there to help you out.

    Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 2:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • I agrre with all th adivce perviously stated. And I will say congrats for working thru the hard times and making your marriage work! That is very exciting!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • Yeah its all about the Benjamins dont go back to court all the court is going to do is drop the case. Everybody these days want money I a m so Happy to hear your trying to work everything out.
    You both have called the Attorneys so thats that, but keep dates when you called them incase they try some shit,,,they are good for that....good luck

    Answer by dusty1962 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

  • Send certified mail to both lawyers stating that you DO NOT want this divorce to go through... Send a copy to the court house as well... You hired them - Fire them for not having your best interests at heart!

    Answer by monshine2 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.